Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Low Light/Night Shooting

There is a good chance that when the paw-paw hits the fan, it will be dark. Do we do enough Low Light/Night Shooting? or is it just to much of a drag.....

Default Re: Low Light/Night Shooting

I think we do way too little low light shooting. Fortunately the indoor range near me has adjustable lighting, which I take advantage of often. Always interesting to see the difference between using tritium sights and normal sights in darkness. I'm a fan of tritium sights but I've found that "sunset/sunrise" lighting renders your tritium useless AND gives your normal sight picture hell. It's also good to train with your tac-torch mounted to your handgun on occasion. My 2 cents.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    I think we do way too little low light shooting. Fortunately the indoor range near me has adjustable lighting, which I take advantage of often. Always interesting to see the difference between using tritium sights and normal sights in darkness. I'm a fan of tritium sights but I've found that "sunset/sunrise" lighting renders your tritium useless AND gives your normal sight picture hell. It's also good to train with your tac-torch mounted to your handgun on occasion. My 2 cents.
    I agree. Important to test reliabilty of your tac torch and your pistol with it attached.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I agree that most of us probably dont practise this enough. I think a lot of people even if they make an effort just stick night sights on there gun and never give it another thought. If your gun runs reliabily with a torch mounted it is far superior to a torch in your hand.

It's unfortunately a logistical problem. There arent that many decent indoor ranges with adjustable lighting and one can't shoot at night at most outdoor ranges. IDPA occasionally have night shoots but they don't permit gun mounted lights. They also tend to be a big of a circus in the sense that a lot of the beginners don't know what they are doing in the day. When it gets dark they get worse and an SO can't see most of the safety issues.
    Havamal

User

I hope this is not off topic. What night sight setup do you prefer? I have three dot trijicons on my carry gun and to be honest dont really like three dot setups. I find the brighter rear dots draw my eyes more than the front sight. I want to replace the rear sight with a plain black one. Had that setup on the previous carry piece and really liked it. SSP you are right it is a logistic nightmare trying find a venue to practise there skills Thorkind probably has the best plan for regular low light practise but not many ranges have the required facilities.

I have Heinie Straight 8s on my 17. The front dot is much brighter than the rear, which is great. The rear notch is a little narrow though, which is fine for accuracy but not for speed.
    Havamal

Weapon mounted lights create their own problems and have in my opinion, limited use. Where ever you point the light, you point your gun which can be problematic. Think about it, you have a person/criminal covered by the firearm and you need to look at something esle for a moment...light mounted on gun...gun no more on criminal or investigating innocent people and gun pointed at them...you get charged with pointing a firearm.

In a CQB sitaution (say 0 to 4 or 5 meters) do you actually even register seeing your sights... and therefore in this type of situation even need sights??

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    investigating innocent people and gun pointed at them...you get charged with pointing a firearm.
    They will probably only see 65 lumens of light, then stars! Seriously though they probably won't see the gun just the light. Sort of like you can only see headlights and not the cars at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    In a CQB sitaution (say 0 to 4 or 5 meters) do you actually even register seeing your sights... and therefore in this type of situation even need sights??
    I'd rather have them and not need them...
    Havamal

I agree that I will rather have them and not use them. Also have night sights fitted to the G17....just pointing out a point of personal experience that in close distance shooting I do not register seeing the sights day or night....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast