User

Default Flattest Shooting Cartridge Ever!

Found this video thanks to the youtube algorithm (amazing) and thought I'd share it here. I like the presenter and look forward to checking out some more videos on his channel.

This being Gunsite I'm sure we'll see plenty of opinions on this one.

User

Default Re: Flattest Shooting Cartridge Ever!

Yes Ron Spomer's video are great! He has a few nice comparison video's for the people who like their 270's as well

User

Interesting video. Would have loved to have seen the new US sniper cartridges in the mix. 300 Norma and 338 Norma and the 14,5mm (to compare to the 50)

User

We’ll I knew even before watching that he would be making stupid comparisons.
    He is a hunter, his motto is hunt honest, but nope.
    So when he started with 600 and 1000 yard drop stuff I just shook my head, why someone with his experience would do something so stupid is always beyond me, when he himself said don’t hunt at that distances.
    He should have done what he preaches, he said keep the hunting below 400 yards, he should have done the comparison at 400 then, seeing as he was directly talking about flat shooting cartridges for hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    We’ll I knew even before watching that he would be making stupid comparisons.
    He is a hunter, his motto is hunt honest, but nope.
    So when he started with 600 and 1000 yard drop stuff I just shook my head, why someone with his experience would do something so stupid is always beyond me, when he himself said don’t hunt at that distances.
    He should have done what he preaches, he said keep the hunting below 400 yards, he should have done the comparison at 400 then, seeing as he was directly talking about flat shooting cartridges for hunting.
    Agreed. He also obviously knows very little to nothing about medium and longer distance shooting (or hunting), so he can only read some cooked-up ballistic tables that mean very little in the field. (His 6,5CM vs 270 Win lecture was just the same.)

Just a few things he completely missed:
    The quoted G1 BC values and tables calculated using them are mostly inapplicable. The typical boat-tailed bullets are usually a better fit to a G7 BC table.
    Load the 220 Swift with a 75-80gn high-BC bullet, shoot it from a barrel with appropriate twist rate, and see how it shines. The 40 gn bullet used is a 400 yd max varmint load.
    "Flat shooting" is only really a useable attribute within about 400m or maybe even less. "Flat shooting", in practical terms, usually means the bullet path does not deviate too much from the line of sight. After that you have to really measure the distance and compensate for the drop. When compensating, the little differences in drop is irrelevant, as dialling or holding 4 MOA or 6 MOA takes just the same effort.
    In long range shooting, how much you need to compensate is not an issue, as long as your equipment (scope, base etc.) has enough adjustment range. What matters is wind drift and how far the bullet can go at supersonic velocity. If the sedate old 6,5CM can go to 1500m in the supersonic region, it will outclass a 7RM that can only do 1200m before going into the transonic region. Honest Ron obviously does not know that.

Okay, I will admit, this is getting way more complicated than what his target audience can absorb.

User

Round 2
    Flattest Shooting Cartridges by Caliber