Default Sauer 202 causing AD

Hi

Bought rifle last year from a GS member, had rifle booked in at a dealer who also has a Gun smith component. Asked them to service / clean gun while waiting for licensed.

Needles to say when I arrived on day of collecty their quickly assembled the rifle. I quickly checked the hair trigger of the gun and to my dismay saw that if lightly bumped it goes off.

They wanted to check it but I said no thank you I will take it somewhere else and I left (story for another day).

My question is: is this a normal phenomenon that hair triggers just go off. This is a Sauer 202 in 375 HH. You push the trigger forward to set the hair trigger function. Any ideas help will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Sauer 202 causing AD

isn't that the definition of a hair (set) trigger?

does the trigger function normally and safely when not set?

Banned

Good morning 264WinMag, it must have been a nasty surprise!

Can you give us some more information?

Was the rifle new, or why did the gunsmith have to assemble it?

Is there a chance they played around with it?

Have you contacted the previous owner? He might know something.

It might simply be set too light. A quick Google search gives the Sauer manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    isn't that the definition of a hair (set) trigger?

does the trigger function normally and safely when not set?
    After reading the manual, I see that I got excited over nothing.

Past experience with specific gunsmith had caused some excitement - not of the good kind.

User

I would think any decent hair trigger should release with a bump to the rifle. That's why you have to set it just before firing. If this was 100% bump safe, all triggers would be made this sensitive.

That being said, I have to question the wisdom of having a set trigger on a rifle capable of being used on dangerous game. The rush of adrenaline released into your bloodstream in a confrontation with something that can stomp or munch on you, often (mostly?) results in a significant loss of fine motor skills, including a loss of sensitivity and fine control of your trigger finger. This makes a sensitive or hair trigger totally uncontrollable. Most experienced DG hunters seem to prefer a much heavier trigger. Not creepy or rough, just a heavy trigger release that can not get bumped off or accidentally pulled because you can't feel the trigger.

Update:

Trigger is so sensitive that if you set it, it goes off.

Booked in at a Gun Smith. Now have to wait two more weeks before being able to shoot the rifle.