Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default New Zealand firearm licence

Hi guys
    Been just over 18 months since i left SA and with Covid and all the problems its caused
    it took a while to get a NZ licence .
    Imagine the joy of walking into a gunshop making your pick and walking out with your new toy.....
    Will still be a couple of months to get a pistol endorsement but at least i can start shooting IPSC again at the local club.
    Lucky for me NZ shooters are a friendly bunch and offered me to use their gear until i am sorted .
    At least you can buy any caliber ammo with a normal licence and not get into trouble for it.
    Mini Rifle category seems to be the fastest growing division here so might try my hand at it .

User

Default Re: New Zealand firearm licence

That is fantastic!

Can you tell us more of how the licensing system works in NZ?

Is IPSC rifle on the cards over there?

Where is NZ are you based?

Regards,
    Wesley

User

Hi Wesley hope you are doing well and still powder coating your cast bullets.
    The system works quite well takes a few months but for us from SA thats normal.
    1) Online application
    2) Do practical and write safety test ( Have to pass for app to continue )
    3) Firearm officer come check safe storage and interview 2 x people and yourself
    4) If licence is approved you receive it in the mail .

Can buy any rifle with 10 or less mag capacity and Semi auto shotguns with max 5 in mag.
    Semi auto rifles only rimfire allowed .

With the ban on semi autos except .22 LR / 22 Mag and 17 HMR the mini rifle is very popular now .
    10 shot mag capacity makes for a lot of mag changes .

We are in a town called Palmerston North not a city yet but its nice and quite and Hunting is within easy range and free on conservation land .

User

Subscribed we will be making our way as soon as the boarders reopen, I want to start comp shooting, but I specifically want to purchase a p320 x carry Legion, was a minute away from giving the idea up, until now.

User

IF you had to have firearms legislation, NZ wasn't the worse nor the most permissive, but very fair when compared to most places. However after the little convenient and very "preventable" (if you buy into background checks and the competency bs) mosque maniac episode, the Chinese sponsored horse quickly enacted serious curbs which also conveniently delivered the exact desired outcome the psycho set out in his manifesto. He was also quite correct in his assertion that NZ gun owners would cave in without too much of even a whimper.

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    IF you had to have firearms legislation, NZ wasn't the worse nor the most permissive, but very fair when compared to most places. However after the little convenient and very "preventable" (if you buy into background checks and the competency bs) mosque maniac episode, the Chinese sponsored horse quickly enacted serious curbs which also conveniently delivered the exact desired outcome the psycho set out in his manifesto. He was also quite correct in his assertion that NZ gun owners would cave in without too much of even a whimper.
    That was a sorry event that gun owners paid for .
    It is sad to see how easily their rights and freedoms were lost with the horse getting praise for her decisive actions.

User

It is something that many of us remain bitter about.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbarb View Post
    Hi Wesley hope you are doing well and still powder coating your cast bullets.
    The system works quite well takes a few months but for us from SA thats normal.
    1) Online application
    2) Do practical and write safety test ( Have to pass for app to continue )
    3) Firearm officer come check safe storage and interview 2 x people and yourself
    4) If licence is approved you receive it in the mail .

Can buy any rifle with 10 or less mag capacity and Semi auto shotguns with max 5 in mag.
    Semi auto rifles only rimfire allowed .

With the ban on semi autos except .22 LR / 22 Mag and 17 HMR the mini rifle is very popular now .
    10 shot mag capacity makes for a lot of mag changes .

We are in a town called Palmerston North not a city yet but its nice and quite and Hunting is within easy range and free on conservation land .
    @Tigerbarb,

Kia ora from sunny South Africa, here out of Gauteng, hopefully you are still a Springbok supporter LOL . It's very interesting to learn more about licensing systems / procedures from other countries.

So from start (online application) to finish, how long does it take on average before you have the actual firearm in your hands?

And how does the application work do they have different sections also? i.e. Self-defence, Sport and hunting etc.

If so are you allowed to license a firearm (Handgun specifically) for self-defence? and conceal carry in public?

With the IPSC are allowed to license any type handgun and calibre?

I suppose you could still do something similar like 3 Gun Nation events, even with the restrictions with mag capacity and calibre.

How is the pricing on the firearms, ammo, gear and equipment, compared to SA and USA.

Haere rā, looking forward to your response.

User

Hi
    Took about 6 months in total from start to licence in hand
    Would not call it different class of licence per say .
    A = Rifles / Shotgun
    Then endorsement for pistols etc. can be done then.
    I think a E endorsement even allows full auto but i will have to check again to make sure .
    No licence to carry not even police carry pistols on them its a big no no to even mention self defense as a reason to own a gun.You only have a gun with you when needing it for sport or hunting ( I walk my dogs at night and have never had any issues )
    If you get endorsement for handgun any caliber is allowed.
    Join a club go shoot a few matches and then apply you must do 12 shoots in a year to keep your endorsement .
    Prices are fairly close to what you would pay in SA rands for equipment when converted .
    Hope that answers some of your questions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbarb View Post
    Hi
    Took about 6 months in total from start to licence in hand
    Would not call it different class of licence per say .
    A = Rifles / Shotgun
    Then endorsement for pistols etc. can be done then.
    I think a E endorsement even allows full auto but i will have to check again to make sure .
    No licence to carry not even police carry pistols on them its a big no no to even mention self defense as a reason to own a gun.You only have a gun with you when needing it for sport or hunting ( I walk my dogs at night and have never had any issues )
    If you get endorsement for handgun any caliber is allowed.
    Join a club go shoot a few matches and then apply you must do 12 shoots in a year to keep your endorsement .
    Prices are fairly close to what you would pay in SA rands for equipment when converted .
    Hope that answers some of your questions.
    @Tigerbarb,
    Thanks very interesting it sounds similar to England, whereby you are not allowed to carry any type of weapon on your person i.e. a knife etc. and that you have normal (unarmed police officers) and armed police officers. I do know 3 Gun Nation exists in England.
    Basically like with dedicated status over here, you have to participate to keep your endorsement valid for your section 16’s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast