Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question Titan EXBT - Monolithic rifle bullet

Evening ladies, gents

I got hold of Titan EXBT monolithic rifle bullets. Hollow point boat tail molly coated micro grooved. Sounds all nice and dandy, but what can I expect from these as hunting bullets? The guy I got it from said something about them being like Barnes X bullets. I am really keen on trying them out. I have been hunting with Peregrine's since I started reloading & this will be my first dip into new monolithic territory.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    All I could find on this bullet is from https://www.helber.co.za/pg3/3605/ti...-rifle-bullets

Default Re: Titan EXBT - Monolithic rifle bullet

Hi Brennen,

I use them in both 6.5x55 and 300 Weatherby.
    It works to the same principle as Barnes-x but the petals break off and continues to penetrate with the shank instead of folding around on itself like Barnes-x. Thinks shot placement with them is more forgiving and most cases they turn lights out instantly in my experience. Meat damage is minimal and no lead in your meat. They are quite accurate and both rifles shoot well below moa.
    My main reason was that they are locally produced and easy to obtain and don't run out of stock as the imported stuff.

This is my experience with them, I'm quite happy with them and most likely won't switch to anything else. Hope you come right with them.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertdwK View Post
    Hi Brennen,

I use them in both 6.5x55 and 300 Weatherby.
    It works to the same principle as Barnes-x but the petals break off and continues to penetrate with the shank instead of folding around on itself like Barnes-x. Thinks shot placement with them is more forgiving and most cases they turn lights out instantly in my experience. Meat damage is minimal and no lead in your meat. They are quite accurate and both rifles shoot well below moa.
    My main reason was that they are locally produced and easy to obtain and don't run out of stock as the imported stuff.

This is my experience with them, I'm quite happy with them and most likely won't switch to anything else. Hope you come right with them.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the information. I will take the rest of this month and do some load development then I’ll gauge if I am confident enough to use it for the end of season hunt.
    I like the idea of the petals helping out to destroy vitals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

My first thoughts are that the petals falling off thing would be difficult to design to get consistently each time with respect to variations in the impact velocity of the bullet and whether you strike soft tissue or bone?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    My first thoughts are that the petals falling off thing would be difficult to design to get consistently each time with respect to variations in the impact velocity of the bullet and whether you strike soft tissue or bone?
    My thoughts as well- if shredding the pedals was such a great idea- why does no other manufacturer boost about this feature of their bullet?

Banned

Too many teeth broken on the pieces of brass in the biltong.

Banned

I read about petals breaking off from a German gunsmith, maybe ten years ago. The idea is that the scrapnell causes damage to the organs surrounding he wound channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennen View Post
    .. what can I expect from these as hunting bullets?

The material they are made from tells you how they will perform, and these are brass.

You can expect fragmentation of the hollow point section, with no expansion of the shank. This will leave a small exit wound, with minimal blood loss, and less meat damage.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    My thoughts as well- if shredding the pedals was such a great idea- why does no other manufacturer boost about this feature of their bullet?
    I have hunted with monolithic bullets designed to shed the petals (Cutting Edge) with monolithic bullets designed not to shed petals but still doing it (GSC and the 9.3mm version of the Hornady GMX) and monolithic bullets that does not shed the petals and there is no practical difference in how they kill game.

User

Thank you very much for the replies and information. I am slightly behind schedule wrt loading these freedom seeds. I will start prepping x10 casings to conduct a quick ladder test over the weekend to gauge how these freedom seeds fly. From there I can tune the combo to an acceptable hunting round. Then I have less than a month to make it work before my usual hunting grounds close the late season hunt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast