Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 270 for long range shooting

a while ago I watched this video from markandsam on their 270 for long range shooting

I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with the 270 for long range shooting? I use it for hunting and it's great. I do realise that this was a cusotm build and ammo might not be readily available but am curious to hear your thoughts

User

Default Re: 270 for long range shooting

They've done the same with old ammo on a thin-barreled .30-06 as well. These guys KNOW what they're doing, and that's what's important here. Yes, the .270 Win will work fine for long-range shooting, but if you're looking to buy or build a gun for that purpose, there are options that'll use less powder, be cheaper to feed, with less recoil, on a shorter action.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    These guys KNOW what they're doing, and that's what's important here.
    ^ This.

There are some very serious skills at play there. Have seen them do silly stuff with wholly inappropriate calibers. One that comes to mind is the 45 70 lever gun. He made hits out to ridiculous ranges and looked like he was wing shooting his holdover was so extreme.

agreed these guys know their stuff and are experts at what they do so I have no illusions of doing the same. I was just wonder if the 270 is used much here for long range.

Agreed on the cost, recoil etc

User

Maybe, but almost certainly not by the guys who are winning.

Don’t think there is a single 1 in 8 twist .277 barrel in RSA!

Banned

I bought a new .270 a while back for a ridiculous price, so there was enough money left for a half decent scope and a Boyds stock. At that stage, I was thinking of using it for some entry level long range shooting, but no serious competitions and stuff. I could hit gongs regularly at distances of 600 to 700 meters, which to me and my limited ability, is a HUGE thing ! Although this is not really long range shooting, it gave me a lot of satisfaction !
    I suppose one can make it work, but like they say, there are more suited calibers specifically developed for LRS.

Banned

Its not that you can not.
    Its not that the weapon can not.
    Only that there are better calibers available for that job.

We shot gongs with a 30 06 - 180 gr bullet and 243 - 90 gr bullet at 1000 m in Australia.
    I am still waiting for the day that someone introduces - producers the .270 Win in 1-7 or 1-8 barrel and 170/180 gr zone bullets.
    I can just imagine the Creedmoore boys all having to sell up and start again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post

Just think of it, the flood of perfectly good 6.5 Creeds on the market, will be a buyers dream, I can then get 6.5 Creed for S/D, Bushvelt/,Long range and Plinking at bargain prices.
    I wonder whether the sunglasses will be Oakly, Raybands or Police - come to think of it there might also be a upswing in Golf GTi used car supply in favor of the S range Audi's. (270 guys are more Audi-ish)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast