Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 7.62 x 39 bolt action, why would you want one ?

Look it is cool and all, but the specs are poor for hunting regardless.
    If you want low recoil in a small cartridge the 6.5 creed or sweed kicks its ass every day of the week.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Look it is cool and all, but the specs are poor for hunting regardless.
    If you want low recoil in a small cartridge the 6.5 creed or sweed kicks its ass every day of the week.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
    agreed. it's something made to shoot two-legged varmints with. I think even the 6.5 Grendel will be more versatile, even if just from a bullet availability viewpoint.

When you are paying less than R5 a round you end up shooting thousands of rounds in practice. There are more than enough high quality bullets. No question that the comments about better calibres are correct but at a cost. With the 7.62 x 39 it is easy to get a crate and get to really know the rifle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Quick question, can you buy hunting ammo for the 7.62x39? Or would reloading be your only option. And even then how common are bullets for that caliber. Maybe I just wasn't looking but I don't remember seeing much.
    Repeat post:
    Correct bullet diameter is310” to .311, with common bullet weights running between 123 and 125 grains. However it is possible to utilize 150 grain bullets (.311 /.312’) designed for the .303 British. Average velocities with hand loads are 2350 to 2400fps with 125gr bullets and 2000 to 2150fps with 150gr bullets, the former giving similar power to factory loads.

The whole matter is very interesting, bullet diameter is not simple, there also USA barrels that are 308!

ave a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 which shoots 308 diameter bullets just so so but use 311 and accuracy is very good. Converse is a AR-15 in 7.62x39 using a USA made barrel at 308 dia and those bullets are the most accurate although the 311's do shoot decent.

Would seem to make all the .303 bullets usable ?

User

An added attraction to me is the fact that the calibre is a good candidate for cast and powder coated loads. It seems that you don't have to back off 'standard' velocities by terribly much to get them to work well according to what I've read on castboolits etc. That takes the cost down to around about what 9mm costs me + an extra skep of propellant. Even more attractive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    When you are paying less than R5 a round you end up shooting thousands of rounds in practice. There are more than enough high quality bullets. No question that the comments about better calibres are correct but at a cost. With the 7.62 x 39 it is easy to get a crate and get to really know the rifle.
    I really want to know where to buy this less than R5 per round 7.62x39...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Tac HQ
    Spartan Arms

Those 2 shops have sold the Chinese mill surp, the steel boxer primer stinky stuff a few times before

Sent from my Fax Machine.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Someone was dumping milsurp at R4 a pop a few months back.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Tac HQ
    Spartan Arms

Those 2 shops have sold the Chinese mill surp, the steel boxer primer stinky stuff a few times before

Sent from my Fax Machine.
    I should have said WC province

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Mil Surp in a hunting rifle? I am just asking as I am not an expert on that issue, but, my neighbour has shot his Brno .223 into a "not in good condition anymore" with Mil Spec ammo. Military load at high pressure. I had pressure problems with those yellow box Norinco ammo in .223 from my AR as well. With 7,62x39 you will get ammo made up for a AK47 predominantly. It might be that they run at higher pressures than what a hunting rifle was built for?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast