Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: 7.62 x 39 bolt action, why would you want one ?

Yes cost and availability is the one benefit of 7.62 x 39. Grendel is just a much better cartridge though.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

User

I weighed the pros and cons of a 7.62x39 in a bolt ( Norinco) a few years back. Conclusion was unless it's an apocalypse situation there are better options out there

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    Yes cost and availability is the one benefit of 7.62 x 39. Grendel is just a much better cartridge though.

If we starting about better cartridges (which thread was never about), there is the .308 - .270- .264-.270- 7mm-08 and a shit load more that may be are, definitely are better.
    Question was why would you want one, and perhaps would you want one.

User

The M43 is ballistically very similar to the old 30-30 Win cartridge, just shaped differently to feed from a box mag. The 30-30 was wildly popular in all of rural USA. I suspect it is gradually being replaced by the M43 and other intermediate cartridges, simply because these come in self-loading rifles.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    If we starting about better cartridges (which thread was never about), there is the .308 - .270- .264-.270- 7mm-08 and a shit load more that may be are, definitely are better.
    Question was why would you want one, and perhaps would you want one.
    Those cartridges you mention aren't intermediate cartridges. 6.5 Grendel essentially mimics or even beats 308 ballistics with less recoil albeit with a lighter bullet. It's big on efficiency in terms of performance for the amount of powder it burns. It shares the same case head diameter with 7.62 x 39 - which is why this thread got me thinking about the Grendel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    Those cartridges you mention aren't intermediate cartridges. 6.5 Grendel essentially mimics or even beats 308 ballistics with less recoil albeit with a lighter bullet. It's big on efficiency in terms of performance for the amount of powder it burns. It shares the same case head diameter with 7.62 x 39 - which is why this thread got me thinking about the Grendel.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!- Ok!

Ya boet, was really just interested in this particular cartridge and the question of why would you want it.
    Seems there are quiet a few reasons for it and just as many reasons not too - like is often the case with a successful military cartridges it appears.

User

Recently also decided to get a bolty in this cal, but unable to find anyone with stock on the howa variant. My reason is the bulk cans, wife can join and it will be easier on budget lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by s3renity View Post
    Recently also decided to get a bolty in this cal, but unable to find anyone with stock on the howa variant. My reason is the bulk cans, wife can join and it will be easier on budget lol
    Try camdix or savuti

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6