Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 270 for long range shooting

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    (270 guys are more Audi-ish)
    Harsh man, harsh! I can feel my 270 spinning in the safe in indignation.

i thought a 270 was more Nissan hardbody

User

I am still waiting for the day that someone introduces - producers the .270 Win in 1-7 or 1-8 barrel and 170/180 gr zone bullets.
    Can’t see it happening. The upgrade to those already exist. There are .284 barrels available in many different flavours.

Its much easier buying a 308 from the start. And then easily get it accurate. And out shooting just about any other barrel caliber by 1000's of rounds over its lifetime.

Saw on Gavin Toobe Ultimate reloader channel where he tested like 150gr in 6.5creed. And that to me just means trying to get the 6.5 to shoot the 308 weight.

Main thing ive learned over 20 years of rifle shooting. Is the shooter needs skill to shoot. Or needs to learn a bit. But easiest to make a rifle more accurate and shoo better groups is the trigger. First upgrade should be a decent trigger. Expensive scope will get nowhere close to what a great trigger will get you. And if you can get one. Bix n Andy trigger.

You can pretty much use any caliber for long range, but you can't just use any platform.

If the rifle is built for long range, pick the caliber.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    You can pretty much use any caliber for long range, but you can't just use any platform.

If the rifle is built for long range, pick the caliber.
    I once started a thread about this very matter, where a guy arrived at farm to hunt with a Creedmoore 6.5 Darth Vader + extra tactical + bling rifle. Some 20K stock and a 5K Suppressor with xyz trigger topped with a scope from the year 2092, he hunted nothing successfully, but shot crows at beyond their eyesight distance and Dassie's that sunbathed in a different time zone.

Back at camp he allowed everyone to try his new rifle, 8 year old Cody to a 70 year old non hunter including a 20 year old girl if I recall correctly. When we had all shot I realized every person had hit the gong every time at 134 m (the longest open space at camp.
    I was so impressed that i came home and started a thread on subject, the answers all came back as you stated above.

The thread was something to the words of " how much difference does a platform make "

User

A 170gr bullet with a BC of .662 at almost 2950ft/s says enough about the potential at long range.
    For those that don't know it's a "hunting" bullet, not a target bullet, Berger made them with a collaboration with extreme outer limits.

That rig doesn't show much recoil, looks like a joy to shoot.

I wouldn't mind...........

User

I once started a thread about this very matter, where a guy arrived at farm to hunt with a Creedmoore 6.5 Darth Vader + extra tactical + bling rifle. Some 20K stock and a 5K Suppressor with xyz trigger topped with a scope from the year 2092, he hunted nothing successfully, but shot crows at beyond their eyesight distance and Dassie's that sunbathed in a different time zone.

Back at camp he allowed everyone to try his new rifle, 8 year old Cody to a 70 year old non hunter including a 20 year old girl if I recall correctly. When we had all shot I realized every person had hit the gong every time at 134 m (the longest open space at camp.
    I was so impressed that i came home and started a thread on subject, the answers all came back as you stated above.

The thread was something to the words of " how much difference does a platform make "
    My mate has a 6.5 Creed that matches your description to a T. It has Nightforce glass on it that cost more than any 4 of my firearms together. Once he developed loads for it I got to shoot it. My first shot was at 500m on a gong. The odds of me hitting that first shot with my .270 Mod 70 with its very basic Lynx scope would be fairly close to 0 so my expectations were very, very low. I set up and dialed in the dope he read out to me. Sent the first shot almost telepathically the trigger was so light and crisp and it hit centre. Given my low skill level with a rifle that pretty much convinced me that platforms do matter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    w. I set up and dialed in the dope he read out to me. Sent the first shot almost telepathically the trigger was so light and crisp and it hit centre. Given my low skill level with a rifle that pretty much convinced me that platforms do matter.
    Pretty much what happened to me, unbelievable - like putting that rookie in Hamiltons F1 car, same kinda result.

User

Pretty much what happened to me, unbelievable - like putting that rookie in Hamiltons F1 car, same kinda result.
    This is a real bad analogy.
    You put a rookie in Hamilton's car and you have a dead rookie, not a good one :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast