Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Bush Pig - Domestic Pig, how close are they meat wise?

Is A Warthog actually even a pig ?

User

It is. Also bush pig that grow up on sugarcane are very tasty, compared to those that forage naturally/without foreign dietary influence.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    The meat ? The texture? The color?
    How would each of these differ so vastly if !!!!
    Lets compare to people.
    Take whiteys, coloreds and say Indians, Domestic pigs feral pigs and b/pigs (I can just imagine the political correctness playing havoc), they all human, all have same requirements, same basic form, slight variation in pigmentation - I assume we all taste the same?
    Pigs are pigs, should they not all be 99% the same with perhaps a slight variation in subtleties of flavor.

I mean red meat/white meat - acid content is hugely different between the two as well.
    Compare Guinea fowl to store bought chicken: the one so tough it is barely edible, except with proper TLC, and the other soft and white and delicious. Take the same chicken and raise it to fend for itself with a bare basic diet of broken maize, and one has something very close to Guinea fowl. This I have experienced.

If this is generally true, why should the same not go for feral pigs, Bush pigs and warthog?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Compare Guinea fowl to store bought chicken: the one so tough it is barely edible, except with proper TLC, and the other soft and white and delicious. Take the same chicken and raise it to fend for itself with a bare basic diet of broken maize, and one has something very close to Guinea fowl. This I have experienced.

If this is generally true, why should the same not go for feral pigs, Bush pigs and warthog?
    This makes some sense, I can live with this concept.

User

First, you are what you eat and their diets differ. Second, domestic pigs have been selectively bred to meet the needs of the dinner table, not to survive in the bush.

Banned

[QUOTE=AK-Gunner;1428941 Second, domestic pigs have been selectively bred to meet the needs of the dinner table, not to survive in the bush.[/QUOTE]
    This I think is actually the answer I perhaps knew but had not realized, they genetically far apart due to selective breeding, the result of centuries. When wild blood is added these selective features are undone in a few generations.

User

Warthog, bush pig and domestic are actually very far apart in taste texture and color. Very weird. I think the USA feral pig is more domestic in taste of what I have seen.

That said all are good table fair within their different boundaries. Shoot young sows and enjoy the meat.

Bush pig I make wors and a roast with the youngsters. Warthog I make wors with regardless of size. Only wors. I don't like Warthog meat..

Banned

I too have drifted away from warthog meat in unprocessed form.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    First, you are what you eat and their diets differ. Second, domestic pigs have been selectively bred to meet the needs of the dinner table, not to survive in the bush.
    Feral pigs thrive in the wild, despite selective breeding. And those that I have seen were very large and fat. The selective breeding did not impair their survival ability, or their instincts.

User

Why would it impair the instincts? Even cats know how to hunt even if they don' have to do it. It takes a long time for natural selection to change species into something indistinguishable from the original form, as opposite to the human controlled selective breeding. Only those features that will strongly lessen chances of survival will disappear relatively fast, but those with no or little effect on survivability in their environment like being large and fatty, will not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast