Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Bush Pig - Domestic Pig, how close are they meat wise?

As per the above post, its like comparing a broiler chicken to an egg laying hen. The egg layer is more like guinea fowl than chicken as we know it. One should also consider that both pork and bushpig will vary a lot based on what it eats and how it is raised. I reckon a bushpig on a good diet will be amazing. Pork on a bad diet is less enjoyable. Pork is a lot paler than bushpig which is darker in colour and has more flavour.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    As per the above post, its like comparing a broiler chicken to an egg laying hen. The egg layer is more like guinea fowl than chicken as we know it. One should also consider that both pork and bushpig will vary a lot based on what it eats and how it is raised. I reckon a bushpig on a good diet will be amazing. Pork on a bad diet is less enjoyable. Pork is a lot paler than bushpig which is darker in colour and has more flavour.
    I like your answer because, when I first started to go off pork it was because of the smells I picked up in the meat.
    My father said it was fish meal I was smelling.
    I know there was a time where fish was a huge thing in animal feed, now ?I could also pick up the fish in some milk brands.
    So yes I would be quick to agree to this proposal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    First, you are what you eat and their diets differ. Second, domestic pigs have been selectively bred to meet the needs of the dinner table, not to survive in the bush.
    I think another big factor is that domestic pigs mostly live in a pen and don't move around / exercise much, while wild pigs are always on the move.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I think another big factor is that domestic pigs mostly live in a pen and don't move around / exercise much, while wild pigs are always on the move.
    Absolutely. 'Laziness' is a built in feature with every creature and it's about energy conservation. Even domestic pigs which are kept outside in a fenced pasture don't move much in order to conserve energy.

In the nature speed kills but on the other hand it also saves lives, hence the wild species tend to be low fat with fast accelerating muscles. Also this is why I prefer to shoot my game oblivious to the danger, so there are no stress hormones in the meat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I have also been on these lines of thought, what would the result be of totally unused muscle mass, but muscle meat.

User

Time out…I need clarification. Is a bush pig not an Afrikan feral hog?
    And…do they compete with warthogs for food, or are each found in separate territories?
    Also, here in America we are still allowed to consume meat and diary laced with growth hormones, unlike the EU where it is largely prohibited. Chickens and turkeys in large grow operations can sometimes acquire so much mass they cannot ambulate properly.
    Lastly, cannibals consider human prey “long pork”.

Banned

Humans were known as "long pigs" and cannibals already knew in the late 1500's that Europeans did not make good eating. Was reading some old writings (References, not the real stuff) where this is mentioned, it was said that although Europeans were killed and sometimes eaten, they were not relished and it was known as far back as 1500s that Europeans often made you sick.

Feral would mean as far as I know - a domesticated animal gone feral/wild, so no ! The Bush Pig is a species of its own, we do as of rather recently have Feral pigs in RSA , but the lineage is still very young.

We also have a thing called "die einste vark" - usually found in politics, has a fondness of red attire and deceitful manner.

Above as to my understanding.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    Time out…I need clarification. Is a bush pig not an Afrikan feral hog?
    And…do they compete with warthogs for food, or are each found in separate territories?
    Also, here in America we are still allowed to consume meat and diary laced with growth hormones, unlike the EU where it is largely prohibited. Chickens and turkeys in large grow operations can sometimes acquire so much mass they cannot ambulate properly.
    Lastly, cannibals consider human prey “long pork”.
    No, they are different species.

There has been inbreeding between bush pigs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushpig) and european wild boars which escaped from captivity.

I do not know whether all the different pig species will cross breed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3