User

Default Snake shot in a residential area

So yesterday I found a snake in our garden, we just moved and the place has been empty for a while so I am not surprised to find a few creatures making themselves at home where they wouldn't normally.

I wasn't to alarmed as it seemed to be a house snake and I was able to throw him over the wall into the neighbours place. I'm kidding, I took him to the veld and wished him luck ( I just assumed it was a him).

Then I started to wonder, what if it was a more dangerous snake? I have a 2 year old that spends most of his time outside exploring and if it were a more dangerous snake I would have wanted to kill it rather than risk trying to catch it myself or wait for the snake man to come and lose the bugger.

So my question is this: Is it permissible to discharge a firearm in a residential area with snake shot ammo with the intention to get rid of a "pest"?

I do not intend to start a discussion on the merits/pitfalls of snake ammo or the ethical treatment of animals as i see this has been covered in another Snake shot thread, I am more concerned around the legality of discharging a firearm in a residential area under this circumstance.

User

Default Re: Snake shot in a residential area

Quote Originally Posted by DMeek View Post
    So yesterday I found a snake in our garden, we just moved and the place has been empty for a while so I am not surprised to find a few creatures making themselves at home where they wouldn't normally.

I wasn't to alarmed as it seemed to be a house snake and I was able to throw him over the wall into the neighbours place. I'm kidding, I took him to the veld and wished him luck ( I just assumed it was a him).

Then I started to wonder, what if it was a more dangerous snake? I have a 2 year old that spends most of his time outside exploring and if it were a more dangerous snake I would have wanted to kill it rather than risk trying to catch it myself or wait for the snake man to come and lose the bugger.

So my question is this: Is it permissible to discharge a firearm in a residential area with snake shot ammo with the intention to get rid of a "pest"?

I do not intend to start a discussion on the merits/pitfalls of snake ammo or the ethical treatment of animals as i see this has been covered in another Snake shot thread, I am more concerned around the legality of discharging a firearm in a residential area under this circumstance.
    Unless your were using it in the context of an imminent threat I'm pretty sure the answer is that its not legal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Unless your were using it in the context of an imminent threat I'm pretty sure the answer is that its not legal.
    Thanks, this seems to be one of those grey areas that can be more trouble than they are worth.

User

[QUOTE=DMeek;1428738
    [/QUOTE]

(7) It is an offence to discharge a firearm, an antique firearm or an airgun in a built up area or any public place, without good reason to do so.

I reckon dealing with a mamba or cobra to protect your kid is a good reason...that snake shot are very fine pellets? They don't have much velocity or travel very far, do they?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DMeek View Post
    Thanks, this seems to be one of those grey areas that can be more trouble than they are worth.
    I'm very much out of my lane wrt offering legal advice so this is not even 2c worth. Know someone who was arrested for shooting rats with an air rifle on the boundary wall between his townhouse complex and the dustbin bay of the neighbouring shopping centre. Had that problem not been made to go away somehow the consequences for his career, firearms ownership etc. could have been pretty severe.

User

Download the ASI app on your phone, they have contact details for snake removal persons in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just use a spade/panga/rake/brick or whatever you have at hand. Obviously stay out of reach.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Just use a spade/panga/rake/brick or whatever you have at hand. Obviously stay out of reach.
    Or just get someone to relocate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Or just get someone to relocate it.

Sure, that would be best if there is a safe area to relocate to.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Not sure what caliber you are questioning about to use, but .22 snake shot are not effective. A big Mamba or Snouted Cobra are not killed by it in a way to keep you or your loved ones safe. Winchester .22 snake shot are noticeably more effective than CCI.

Regarding shooting snake shot in a build up area... I would say no. The neighbour seeing you or catching you om camera and the SAPS officer sent to you for an investigation will not care about the type of ammo used. Should I know my neighbours and their attitude and a dangerous snake be a real threat (not just seen and can be kept in a location until removed) I would use a firearm even in a neighborhood. For a Mamba or aggressive snouted cobra I would even use the 12 Br. Just make sure their is a snake to show for the effort. It might help your case.

I had a huge snouted cobra coming into the farmhouse once going after my 2 year old daughter at the time. Maybe it was his intent to sail on after her while running away with huge eyes and ash grey, maybe not. I shot him with .22 Snake shot in the fridge area where the compressor is located. He came out after the third solid hit with a lot of fight in him.

Moz Spitting cobras are softer to kill.

Mambas have gone into homes of farm workers 3 times over the years. A good torch to see them and a .22 with high velocity hollow points and the 12 br with no 5 shot as backup are perfect for those occasions.

I have also killed a Black Mamba once in the field coming from a bush straight to me and the kids walking in the field. 9 mm Rangers are decent medicine for that scenario. That stopped him in his tracks. (That was the day I gave my girl a bruised face and blue eye. As I saw the snake I swiped her to the rear and got between her and the snake and had the fastest draw of my life and most accurate shooting.)