User

Default MOVIE: The Suicide Squad (2021)

My house was being cleaned, so I decided to go see a movie. It was either this one or Black Widow, but ultimately my hatred of Woke Disney overcame my persistent stalker fantasies of ScarJo, and decided to watch this one. If you enjoyed the original 2016 movie, then you will love this one. If you hated the original, give it a try, it's more or less a soft reboot. But be advised, it has bad language and the goriest violence of any DCEU movie to date.

A lot of new characters are introduced, but most of them are killed off (some hilariously) before the opening credits roll, so I will only mention the important ones. Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) Rick Flagg (Joel Kinnaman) and the villainous Amanda Waller (Viola Davis) reprise their roles from the original. Of the new characters, Bloodsport (Idris Elba), an assassin with the power of IKEA weaponry on his person and a fear of rats, is the main protagonist and the obvious substitute for Deadshot from the first movie (Will Smith was apparently not available). Newcomer Diane Melchior plays Ratcatcher, with a gadget that enables her to control rats (much cooler than it sounds) and acts as the adorable one and conscience of the group. Polka Dot Man (David Dastmalchian) has the power to shoot deadly Polka Dots and who hilariously sees everyone as his abusive mother (who is responsible for his "condition"). But the best characters are King Shark (voiced by Sylvester Stallone) an adorable man/shark hybrid who acts as a dimwit manchild who always wants to eat people's heads, and Peacemaker (Jon Cena) an hilariously douchy Captain America expy.

The suicide squad are sent in two teams to a Banana Republic hellhole island to destroy a secret lab, and the first team gets wiped out completely barring Harley and Flagg. The "B" Team survivors along with the two survivors then have to complete the mission to destroy "Project Starfish" (DC fans can guess who the hidden main antagonist of the movie is). The fights are good, if bloody, the selection of firearms, knives and some odd weaponry used is rather nice for gun nuts, and the humor is hilarious, especially King Shark who steals every single scene he is in (but not recommended for those not into dark humor) and Peacemaker, despite (or because of?) him being a colossal prick. Bloodshot, despite being a Deadshot expy, actually does manage to make the character distinct thanks to Elba's performance. There is a subtle aesop of the film, namely that US intervention overseas, even well intentioned, often does more harm than good, but this will likely get lost in the action and the explosions.

It's a good movie, and if you are not afraid of the Wuhan virus, or simply tired of spending your weekend at home, I would recommend seeing it for all action and comic book fans.

User

Default Re: MOVIE: The Suicide Squad (2021)

I was leery about the loony girls thing, but I found the two movies more entertaining than most of the Marvel ones.

User

I did like the first, I did not like the second, but I think its because im getting old and “over” superhero movies, I fell asleep in most of the marvel movies since after the Avengers 2 I think…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Margot Robbie

User

Just to add on this, there's a new series, well all 8 episodes have already aired.

Do yourself a favour and watch it, you won't regret it .

PEACEMAKER
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt13146488/?ref_=m_ttep_tt

Picking up where The Suicide Squad (2021) left off, Peacemaker returns home after recovering from his encounter with Bloodsport - only to discover that his freedom comes at a price.

PS: I never thought that I would enjoy a movie/ show where John Cena played the main character.