Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: My hunting dog FARTS, it really farts. REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Dogs are omnivores, can eat anything, and will eat anything. Springer and AK got me thinking about somethings which make this dog endearing to us.
    Among many traits is the fact that she eats food, any food. If you eating grapes she eats grapes, banana, oats, meat what ever - as AK said! To date we have found this nice, funny and harmless, now I wonder.

We went hunting recently and when we got to farm the puppy had stolen the apples we took with, we took it as funny. Never seen a dog do that.

So yes in jest and all I am hearing what you guys are saying.
    I will be going to buy one of those R4/500 bags of dog food to try out, but perhaps I also need to look at the harmless grapes and apples etc - My dogs get no sweets - sugar.
    Sometimes you puzzle me. You often ask for advice, but end up telling people how it is? Do you want advice, or just a chat to tell everyone how you see things, and then just mos carry on?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Sometimes you puzzle me. You often ask for advice, but end up telling people how it is? ----No what I think,thought, believed,which then allows them to see where I am at or am coming from - it allows people information about the how, why post was posted. - Do you want advice,Yes, but that does not mean I must just listen and believe or just a chat to tell everyone how you see things, and then just mos carry on? Yip I certainly do, better informed and equipped with information which I will then mull on sometimes for weeks
    To date I do not know where I told people how it is, only where I was and why I was of that opinion. What I sometimes do do is knowingly allow some folk to entertain me as their response's are some what predictable and some what entertaining.

But !

I usually walk away with a whole lot of information which I assimilate over time (long time, as I is slow), I also have outside views which I may never have thought of.

..............................Actually DUDE ! What did you expect with this! Find out what dogs need to eat. Then stop feeding them garbage.?
    Touche' babba.

User

Regarding the offal, this is a very good idea. If you can find a fresh piece of intestine, squeeze out the poop and feed it to the dog raw. This will help to repopulate the gut flora of your dog, and may help towards an improvement. Its almost like a reset for the gut. This is the basis for what is becoming the accepted way to treat certain human gut ailments via what is medically termed "a fecal transplant". Google it. it sounds disgusting but works like a bomb for stubborn clostridial infections. So when your gastroenterologist says "eat shit" he's dead serious.

I think if I had a pet, I would collect all the offal, wash it, mince it and freeze it. Healthiest thing they could eat, as that's what they evolved to eat.

To date I do not know where I told people how it is, only where I was and why I was of that opinion. What I sometimes do do is knowingly allow some folk to entertain me as their response's are some what predictable and some what entertaining.

But !

I usually walk away with a whole lot of information which I assimilate over time (long time, as I is slow), I also have outside views which I may never have thought of.

..............................Actually DUDE ! What did you expect with this! Find out what dogs need to eat. Then stop feeding them garbage.?
    Touche' babba.
    You clearly don't need advice then, just confused as to why you asked the question. My advice was to find out. But you obviously know better, so keep feeding them the crap you are feeding them then. Have a good day further.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Regarding the offal, this is a very good idea. If you can find a fresh piece of intestine, squeeze out the poop and feed it to the dog raw. This will help to repopulate the gut flora of your dog, and may help towards an improvement. Its almost like a reset for the gut. This is the basis for what is becoming the accepted way to treat certain human gut ailments via what is medically termed "a fecal transplant". Google it. it sounds disgusting but works like a bomb for stubborn clostridial infections. So when your gastroenterologist says "eat shit" he's dead serious.

I think if I had a pet, I would collect all the offal, wash it, mince it and freeze it. Healthiest thing they could eat, as that's what they evolved to eat.
    This dog gets gut to eat when she tracks, she has free rein during gutting, as it is her animal because she tracked it. It is good that you remind me of this, because I had this exact thought on Saturday when she was chewing on a kudu intestine.
    She made every one laugh because she ended up green faced from the grass in the gut. This eating the gut made me think of the fecal transplants you mention and I wandered about just what you said, " what if she has a bowel disorder? Wonder if this would help?" I made a mental note to look it up and then went on to forget all about it. I wonder how I would research this - what Google key words to use?

Matter of interest - we nearly died in bakkie later that day, it was real bad.

One thing I differ on though, I would not wash what ever it is she eats and I am not sure about freezing it.

As I mentioned earlier in post #22 "Yip I certainly do, better informed and equipped with information which I will then mull on sometimes for weeks" Now I know why dogs eat shit, interesting indeed.

Both my dogs eat the chicken shit on occasion, wonder if??????????????

Banned

Dogs are omnivores, can eat anything, and will eat anything. Springer and AK got me thinking about somethings which make this dog endearing to us.
    Among many traits is the fact that she eats food, any food. If you eating grapes she eats grapes, banana, oats, meat what ever - as AK said! To date we have found this nice, funny and harmless, now I wonder.

We went hunting recently and when we got to farm the puppy had stolen the apples we took with, we took it as funny. Never seen a dog do that.

So yes in jest and all I am hearing what you guys are saying.
    I will be going to buy one of those R4/500 bags of dog food to try out, but perhaps I also need to look at the harmless grapes and apples etc - My dogs get no sweets - sugar.
    Humans are omnivores, we can and do (generally) eat just about anything, doesn’t mean it’s good for us or we should be eating it.
    There is a reason foods like Bobtail are a tenth of the price of the high end “vets choice” style foods, but in choosing to go an a dog you take responsibility for their health which means you have to feed and supplement correctly.
    Based on what you have currently said you are feeding I would completely change diet, look for high protein, grain free options and be willing to pay the money.
    Look at what supplements your dog may need, I have an old German Shepherd who is on joint supplements for example, my whippets can’t go without probiotics.
    I would also maybe pop the dog through to the vet because a gassy dog is one thing, but based on your description your poor dog is definitely not well and probably very uncomfortable.
    My dogs do not get human food, but trust me, they find a way to help themselves at every turn! Whippets are notorious counter surfers and will even resort to licking dishes while I’m loading the dishwasher. And inevitably they end up with unhappy stomachs.

User

Not quite sure where you get the idea that dogs are omnivores. They are most definitely carnivores. It is all in the teeth and the gut. They are fed rice and grains because pure meat diets are quite expensive. For some reason people think human diets are not harmful to dogs, hence the obesity found in beloved pets.

Dogs want to eat what you eat. Maybe because, as pack mate, what is good for you must be good for them in their minds.

And no, grapes are definitely not harmless to dogs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BackStop View Post
    Humans are omnivores, we can and do (generally) eat just about anything, doesn’t mean it’s good for us or we should be eating it.
    There is a reason foods like Bobtail are a tenth of the price of the high end “vets choice” style foods, but in choosing to go an a dog you take responsibility for their health which means you have to feed and supplement correctly.
    Based on what you have currently said you are feeding I would completely change diet, look for high protein, grain free options and be willing to pay the money.
    Look at what supplements your dog may need, I have an old German Shepherd who is on joint supplements for example, my whippets can’t go without probiotics.
    I would also maybe pop the dog through to the vet because a gassy dog is one thing, but based on your description your poor dog is definitely not well and probably very uncomfortable.
    My dogs do not get human food, but trust me, they find a way to help themselves at every turn! Whippets are notorious counter surfers and will even resort to licking dishes while I’m loading the dishwasher. And inevitably they end up with unhappy stomachs.

Yes I believe you as are a few other posters are absolutely correct.
    I am it appears under some incorrectly conceived preconceptions, as I have posted before, sometimes you absolutely just know something and always have known it - even if its wrong.
    Somewhere some time in my past I researched this matter and I still recall the lines pretty much exactly, " dogs diet and human diet are very similar in needs and that what you cook to eat is generally a good meal for your dogs" - there were some side notes regarding oddities.

Just recently our local Herald had a article saying same thing, but under heading the topic of more, are there dangers in left overs for dogs.

I have always VERY STRONGLY believed that our left over food, combined with dog food is a far better meal than just dog food. *****************Opinions ??? The dog food was the bulk and the add ons the value, I always use the water I boil vegetables in on dog food.

I am now going to seriously research this again.

You sound like me - There is a reason foods like Bobtail are a tenth of the price of the high end “vets choice” style foods. Yep, like human food, how can they make beef veannas for less than the cost of beef, or chicken nuggets at less than the cost of chicken?

Thanks for input.

Banned

janfred, I have been a dog man all my life, I know and understand them - or so I thought. This post regarding diet has really beien a eye opener for me, I actually need to stop and do a reset of what I know or thought I know. I guess I had become a self proclaimed dog expert of sorts in my dogs all my life mind.
    Google time me thinks.

User

I think the cheapest of the good foods is Optimizer, I pay R320 per 20kg from a local. They are about R380 at the co-op.

Only the chicken and rice works, the dogs don't like the beef one- not even the spca ones. It is very dry.

I supplement with free bones from butchery and if I'm lucky I buy the dogfood from the abattoir which is dropped steak/fillet R10kg but the demand is too high.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast