Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: Shooting through grass and the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    My personal opinion is that you shouldn't even let him take shots at game if he can't even do a 2" group at 100m on an average day, if the rifle is up to the task, specially not shots at 234m. 4" at 100m translates to 9" at that distance and 9" is a huge chance on a badly wounded animal.
    Two parts to this.
    First : The boy has until recently been a 3 to 4 inch group at 100 m kinda shooter on a very good day.
    At present he can do a 2 inch group 5 shots with perhaps a wild shot 2 inch's further out. He still has his moments where when we practice I see it all fallen apart, start again, we have shot many .223 out this year.

Second matter is that it is their farm, his mother is the farmer (father absolutely not) and he is going hunting whether I am there or not, Mom knows nothing of caliber and species etc - that is why I was brought in. I have come to terms that I can not control that, only make better as per my statement :
    I have been able until recently to save each situation with a follow up shot or find animal even if it fell in a different time zone most likely because of the use of my rifle and not the .223 he has or the .303 original condition with military ammo that he loans from Grandpa.

But I hear you and you are correct.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Yes, then add dew drops - water, a drop on each blade of grass x 1000 blades.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Two parts to this.
    First : The boy has until recently been a 3 to 4 inch group at 100 m kinda shooter on a very good day.
    At present he can do a 2 inch group 5 shots with perhaps a wild shot 2 inch's further out. He still has his moments where when we practice I see it all fallen apart, start again, we have shot many .223 out this year.
    Treeman, you have found yourself a unicorn...
    1st farmer/farmers son, ive heard of that cant shoot well.
    How old is this youngster?

I have found with younger hunters, who struggle with comfort, weight, eye relief, etc. have a tendency to miss and miss properly. Regardless of what you say or ask, they lack the experience to step away and reset themselves or make the call "I'm not comfortable or confident enough to take that shot". Youngsters often shoot regardless, to try make their fathers or mentors proud.

The fact that he has already lost animals this season, would make for low confidence and inconsistent shooting. The grass may have had nothing to do with it and it was just a poor shot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post
    Treeman, you have found yourself a unicorn...
    1st farmer/farmers son, ive heard of that cant shoot well.
    How old is this youngster?, The boy is 17 years old there are no guns in the house but his grandfather has his old Reservist .303. His mother is a female beef farmer and no one in family hunts. He got introduced to hunting when starting high school, but on other school friends farms. His one uncle hunts on a neighboring farm. He started inviting school friends over with their rifles to hunt so that he could also hunt, but his mother saw trouble coming and risk was evident. When she met me she said " I was just what she had been wishing for" She was so worried about how it was going and really did not know who to turn too. Was just lucky I was o farm at time when kid was bugging her to be allowed to take .303 and try hunt. I overheard the whining and commented that I would take him with me to my hunt next week end if she allowed. The rest is history. Old stock English farmers are different - beef and diary farmers even more so.

I have found with younger hunters, who struggle with comfort, weight, eye relief, etc. have a tendency to miss and miss properly. Regardless of what you say or ask, they lack the experience to step away and reset themselves or make the call "I'm not comfortable or confident enough to take that shot". Youngsters often shoot regardless, to try make their fathers or mentors proud.BHe is a VERY VERY sensible modest boy, reason I took so to him, private schooling and and Colonial English upbringing - dinner not supper - tea and church on Sunday. Boys are called lads and you do not hunt on Sundays kinda family.

The fact that he has already lost animals this season, would make for low confidence and inconsistent shooting. The grass may have had nothing to do with it and it was just a poor shot. Naaaa I saw the shot run on the grass, like a jet trail - a line of mist.

This is the 4th year hunting with him, and the year it all came together, he is shooting well and pulled off two incredible shots recently - he is on a high at the moment - struggle is to now keep him practicing.
    He is shooting well at present, also bought his own sticks and binno's this year.

Banned

For us who started at 6 with an airgun it was reasonably easy to move up to bigger calibres. The muscle memory and good eyesight helped a lot. Give the youngster a chance. Dave has already taught Cody and has the man's confidence.

Shooting through obstructions will never ensure an accurate shot, so a good lesson learnt.

Banned

Banned

I had no idea he was shooting through grass, I am a head + taller than him plus I was behind him looking over him to be in straight visual line for POI study. I actually asked about the Taaibos takkies in front of him and then decided not to chance it and bellied over and broke the bushes off.
    After the shot I swore WTF you do ?, he said that he had shot through the grass. I said "you know you can not do that" and he answered "I know, was just exited". I asked how much grass and he said just below the cross, "the cross was above the grass Uncle Dave" and I answered "but the barrel is four fingers below the scope".
    He truly looked like he was about to cry, walked off stood back towards us looking at the ground.

Any case, I like it, the bull got to live, strange that thing of mine, love the hunt but feel pretty good afterwards when I think the bull is still alive. This only seems to happen with spectacular animals, I do not want them to die.

Got the call earlier today, can I please come out again, for him to try again and there are two other kids that are hunting Waterbuck and B/Pig.

If a Kudu cow is seen during course of the hunts I must take one for myself.
    I guess this week end is going to be some intense work time wise.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

At 234 meters, with "Spitzer" pointed ammo like SST and relatively lots of grass my answer would be "Yes, it can deflect the bullet more than enough to miss the target."

When hunting in areas where I know the only possible shots might have grass in the way I prefer the 30-06 with 220 gr Round nosed bullets as I have experienced that 150 gr Spitzer pointed ones that I tried at some stages can be heard to even ricochet from heavy grass or very light twigs. I tried it in the field, never on a live target.

Banned

This bullet drew a 30 m long jet trail along grass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2