Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Glock Mags Falling Out

Have any of you Glock owners ever had a mag fall out due to the wear on either the mag release or the notch on the mag itself.

Just watched a video of someone who said it happened to him at the range. For his demonstration he used a Polymer 80 and a PMAG so that was a bit confusing but will have to assume that for his failure the gun and mag were OEM.

His point was that polymer can wear out unlike steel so Glocks aren't good for EDC where you can't afford to have a mag drop out upon firing.

I suppose if you check your mags for wear and change them out upon any signs of wear you shouldn't have a problem.

Anyone have any mags that have this wear and have binned them after salvaging the shoe, etc.?

User

Default Re: Glock Mags Falling Out

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Have any of you Glock owners ever had a mag fall out due to the wear on either the mag release or the notch on the mag itself.

Just watched a video of someone who said it happened to him at the range. For his demonstration he used a Polymer 80 and a PMAG so that was a bit confusing but will have to assume that for his failure the gun and mag were OEM.

His point was that polymer can wear out unlike steel so Glocks aren't good for EDC where you can't afford to have a mag drop out upon firing.

I suppose if you check your mags for wear and change them out upon any signs of wear you shouldn't have a problem.

Anyone have any mags that have this wear and have binned them after salvaging the shoe, etc.?
    That is where having EDC mags and range mags come in.

Also steel can and does wear out with enough use/abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    That is where having EDC mags and range mags come in.

Also steel can and does wear out with enough use/abuse.

So buy a bunch of cheap mags for the range and keep the OEMs for EDC. I've always just bought OEM but that makes more sense.

User

exactly herein lies the problem with the concept of everyone have the right to voice their opinion... just because someone has access to a camera and an internet connection doesn't mean they're not talking absolute shit, based on dumb science. but the moment you point this out to said individual and his fans, you'll be subjected to vitriol accusing you of suppressing free speech, Internet censorship, science denial ("but he did an experiment!!") etc.

this sad concept is of course transferable to further than the firearms topic...

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    So buy a bunch of cheap mags for the range and keep the OEMs for EDC. I've always just bought OEM but that makes more sense.
    What is a better option is to use your EDC mags and as they get older move them over to range use, replacing your EDC mags with new OEM mags. Rinse and repeat

User

Every closed system like a gun, magazine or piece of wood wears down because of entropy. No news here, somebody just had his few minutes of publicity in the Internets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    exactly herein lies the problem with the concept of everyone have the right to voice their opinion... just because someone has access to a camera and an internet connection doesn't mean they're not talking absolute shit, based on dumb science. but the moment you point this out to said individual and his fans, you'll be subjected to vitriol accusing you of suppressing free speech, Internet censorship, science denial ("but he did an experiment!!") etc.

this sad concept is of course transferable to further than the firearms topic...
    But it does make sense though?
    If you only ever use the two mags that came with your gun for range and EDC then surely the polymer will wear eventually, especially if you shoot a lot.

User

You should have defensive and training mags for all guns.

But I've never had that happen even on my highly used sports mags.

User

I too keep EDC mags separate from my sport/training mags.
    Noteworthy though that my original G17 Gen2 magazines have seen plenty work and still work flawlessly, until they don’t one day maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Compared to earlier steel and aluminum framed pistols the Glock mag spring is weak and this coupled with minimal and softer engagement surfaces makes it more vulnerable to unintentional release.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast