Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Glock Mags Falling Out

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Have any of you Glock owners ever had a mag fall out ...

...For his demonstration he used a Polymer 80 and a PMAG ...
    So he uses all pirate parts, they fail, then he concludes that the OEM parts are no good?

This guy should pursue a career in lift-wing politics.

Most of my original (Gen2) mags are still working as intended after 30 years of mixed use.

2 of the originals have been scrapped due to the mag body bulging out a little. This allowed some cartridges to sit next to each other instead of in a staggered pattern. Keep in mind that my reloads have a slightly smaller diameter due to the dimensions of the TC sizer die. So the 2 mags were stripped and the bodies marked as scrapped. The rest of the internals are sill useable and are kept as spares.

The later generation OEM mags have a more substantial steel liner and are significantly less prone to bulging. Just buy gen 4 mags and be happy.

When the P-mags came out they cost about the same as OEM, while they were obviously made much cheaper. The price difference is bigger now, so they may be an option for range mags. I would not carry them. Same goes for the transparent ETS mags.

I have no experience with the KCI mags, but they do seem to be made much better, very close to the OEM ones.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    So he uses all pirate parts, they fail, then he concludes that the OEM parts are no good?

This guy should pursue a career in lift-wing politics.
    Hey, I know all about lift and wings but I had nothing to do with this...

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Haha yeah pretty sure the mag that failed in the incident was OEM.

Why he used clones for the demonstration didn't make sense, would just confuse people.

User

But it does make sense though?
    If you only ever use the two mags that came with your gun for range and EDC then surely the polymer will wear eventually, especially if you shoot a lot.
    my post was conceptual, and far wider applicable than the specific topic...

but to address your question (not answer it...) "polymer" isn't a material. its a class of materials like "metal". and like metals, which contains materials that are liquid, or hand, malleable, or structural, or so hard it's close to impossible to do anything with, you get a helluva wide range of polymers.

people that insist on reguritating that "polymers are bad and will break" unfortunately only shows their ignorance, and conveniently ignore thst guns have very successfully been made from plastic since the 70s...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Hey, I know all about lift and wings but I had nothing to do with this...
    The spell-checker missed that one...

While on the subject, how often should one replace the spring in your mags?

I've had the same spring in my EDC G19 mag since 2013. Am I asking for trouble.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    exactly herein lies the problem with the concept of everyone have the right to voice their opinion... just because someone has access to a camera and an internet connection doesn't mean they're not talking absolute shit, based on dumb science. but the moment you point this out to said individual and his fans, you'll be subjected to vitriol accusing you of suppressing free speech, Internet censorship, science denial ("but he did an experiment!!") etc.

this sad concept is of course transferable to further than the firearms topic...
    To quote Dave Chappelle: "Word".

User

But it does make sense though?
    If you only ever use the two mags that came with your gun for range and EDC then surely the polymer will wear eventually, especially if you shoot a lot.
    If you shoot a lot then it's highly unlikely you'll be using the same two mags that came with your gun.

This is definitely possible if you shoot infrequently as heck, and in that situation you're unlikely to generate enough wear on the mags to bring about failure in any reasonable space of time.

While on the subject, how often should one replace the spring in your mags?

I've had the same spring in my EDC G19 mag since 2013. Am I asking for trouble.
    It will probably break tomorrow.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

As far as I understand springs, their lifespan is based on duty cycles. So if you use the mag as a lot, loading it full, shooting it out, rinse and repeat, the spring should wear more than a mag of similar vintage kept full of ammo.

So as to your question, it really depends. Best advice I read on here years ago was to not fall in love with your mags. Treat them as consumables. Rotate them out from EDC to comp use, and from there to practice use.

Chances are, even the practice mags will outlast your expectations. But maybe not, so better to have freshish mags in the EDC rotation.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast