Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Glock Mags Falling Out

I am on my 3rd G17. I still use mags that I got with my first one, and ones that pre-date the 94 AWB. They work fine. Most of them have Wolff XP springs in them but not all.

I don't recall ever having a mag drop out where I didn't deliberately or accidentally press the mag release.

I have replaced a mag release on my first 17 because mag float was leading to some failures to extract.

Glock mags and mag releases are cheap enough for you not have to worry about it.

I would replace the magazine release spring periodically because in the unlikely even that it breaks it may be impossible to remove from the frame.

As to the video: I haven't watched it, but why would the fact that he demoed with a homebuilt 80% frame and Pmags lead you to assume that it happened with an OEM gun and mags?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    As far as I understand springs, their lifespan is based on duty cycles. So if you use the mag as a lot, loading it full, shooting it out, rinse and repeat, the spring should wear more than a mag of similar vintage kept full of ammo.

So as to your question, it really depends. Best advice I read on here years ago was to not fall in love with your mags. Treat them as consumables. Rotate them out from EDC to comp use, and from there to practice use.

Chances are, even the practice mags will outlast your expectations. But maybe not, so better to have freshish mags in the EDC rotation.
    Thanks, yeah I have two mags that I use for EDC and stay loaded and hardly ever get shot apart for when I need to cycle out older carry ammo and just to check they still work. So they don't see a lot of use and mag spring lifespan never really came up, but yeah it's probably time for new EDC mags.....

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I am on my 3rd G17. I still use mags that I got with my first one, and ones that pre-date the 94 AWB. They work fine. Most of them have Wolff XP springs in them but not all.

I don't recall ever having a mag drop out where I didn't deliberately or accidentally press the mag release.

I have replaced a mag release on my first 17 because mag float was leading to some failures to extract.

Glock mags and mag releases are cheap enough for you not have to worry about it.

I would replace the magazine release spring periodically because in the unlikely even that it breaks it may be impossible to remove from the frame.

As to the video: I haven't watched it, but why would the fact that he demoed with a homebuilt 80% frame and Pmags lead you to assume that it happened with an OEM gun and mags?
    He said it was with a Glock mag, the demonstration gun and mag just lead to confusion as you can see :)

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    He said it was with a Glock mag, the demonstration gun and mag just lead to confusion as you can see :)
    So an OEM mag in his homebuilt frame?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    So an OEM mag in his homebuilt frame?
    Nope, both gun and mag were OEM.

Quite is from the Glock Shop in case anyone was interested. Two years seems short, but they are a shop.

When to Replace Mag Springs

Extended capacity magazines like the 33 round and 24 round mags when left fully loaded for an extended period will require replacement. Replacement should be made if there are any feeding issues detected. Our advice to professionals is to change out mag springs every two years.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Nope, both gun and mag were OEM.
    For something to be regarded as scientific, it has to be observable and repeatable. If not, it's just a rumour.

So back to the demo with the pirate copy frame and cheap pirate mag. He can say whatever he wants, if he can't show it, it's just plain BS.

I'm not saying it's impossible, as I have seen such things happen on more than one occasion. Incidentally, these were with metal frame guns and steel mags. It happens. It is definitely possible with polymer frames and mags, and even OEM ones, but it is definitely not a common issue.

Mag release catches and -recesses can be damaged in various ways. I have had the misfortune of experiencing a case rupture. The cause was a much-faster-than-spec powder, which gave excessive pressure with the start load (S221/213). The blown case blew the mag out. In this particular instance, both the mag and catch survived in working condition, but do that often enough and the edges will get damaged.

There were also stories of damage occurring due to the use of steel mags with a polymer catch. Same thing may happen when using a metal catch on a plastic mag.

If this does actually happen eventually, probably after lots and lots of heavy use, just replace the mag catch. It is available and it's cheap. No need to throw the whole gun away as with some other makes that don't have spare parts available...

I would imagine the kind of wear that will cause a mag to fall out by itself should be noticeable enough that you can preemptively replace it.

I also think by the time you've managed to wear it out to that level you'd be an expert, and would have acquired plenty spares.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3