User

Default Strongroom Building contractors

Hi all

I have contacted a few builders in the area but all of them declined. Not sure if its more technical but cannot see how.
    Do any of you know of a good contractor to assist with the construction of a strongroom in Pretoria area?

User

Default Re: Strongroom Building contractors

There are minimum requirements and a civil engineer sign off required. Certain MPA required for the concrete and re in forcing in the walls and roof. But any contractor that is half capable should not have a problem doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    Hi all

I have contacted a few builders in the area but all of them declined. Not sure if its more technical but cannot see how.
    Do any of you know of a good contractor to assist with the construction of a strongroom in Pretoria area?
    Dit hang af of jy net n strong room soek, en of jy n inloop kluis soek.
    Daar lę die verskil.
    As jy n inloop kluis soek moet jy aan al die vereistes en inspeksies voldoen. As jy net n strong room soek, bou ons hom dieselfde, maar jy gaan nie deur al die pyn en leiding van inspeksies en verslae en en en nie.
    Dan hang dit ook af van waar jy dit gebou wil hę, dit is n absolute nagmerrie om n groot inloop kluis deur op sy plek te kry as jou huis dit nie maklik toelaat nie. Baie potensiaal vir skade en seerkry in daardie proses. Maar dit is doenbaar....

User

Hi - dankie vir die terugvoer.
    Met strongroom verwys ek na die instap kluis soos SANS 953-2 spec.
    Ek het paar ingenieursvriende wat kan kom incheck, buiten dit en cube test glo ek nie dit is meer rocket science nie.
    My idee was om die gebou te doen en dan derde party (bv Mutual safes) te kry om deur te installer. So die scope basies net op siviele kant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    Hi all

It's not rocket science.
    You just need to find a decent builder who specializes a bit more with concrete, reinforcing and slabbing.

Leave the door supply and fitment to mutual safes

Banned

Rather opt for a dbl cavity wall with a 150m cavity that's filled with reinforcing and concrete

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    There are minimum requirements and a civil engineer sign off required. Certain MPA required for the concrete and re in forcing in the walls and roof. But any contractor that is half capable should not have a problem doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been in building all my life and agree with that completely. Dunno what they are frightened of - its not rocket science, just standards to meet but which are not difficult, just need reasonable care. Which should apply to all building anyway.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Rather opt for a dbl cavity wall with a 150m cavity that's filled with reinforcing and concrete
    Probably a bit much. 15cm will be enough. And if I remember correctly wall needs to be 30cm or thicker overall.
    Also make sure you have a plug inside - handy for things like dehumidifiers.

User

Hi koperaal koos

If you haven't come right yet and still looking for the strongroom to be built, send me a pm your number.
    We can discuss your requirements, room size and then look into the specific specifications for the room.

The scope of works has a few variables that will need discussion, consideration and input with regards to the location or position, current load bearing floor structure where the strongroom is to be built on, ease of access for the construction works etc

I'm in Jhb North area.

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Probably a bit much. 15cm will be enough. And if I remember correctly wall needs to be 30cm or thicker overall. Also make sure you have a plug inside - handy for things like dehumidifiers.
    There are two categories of strongroom in the SABS 953-2 standard: BC = two brick skins with 100 mm concrete inner with steel mesh reinforceing with total wall thickness 320 mm and; RC = 150 mm proper reinforced concrete. I have not addressed the floor and roof requirements. I was on the SABS committee that produced the standard, and the experts on the committee agreed that the RC is much stronger than the BC. Furthermore they said that ramming concrete between two brick skins is not as simple and trouble free as one might think. The other issue with the BC is that the inside of the strongroom will be much smaller than that of the RC for the same exterior dimensions. Rule 1 for strongrooms says "it will turn out not to be big enough"!

With regards to plug points, you will also have to get power for the lights and provide proper ventilation openings. You must also determine the size of the required aperture for the door.

The first step is to get a copy of the SABS standard.

Peter