Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
List each difference and then debate that point individually.

1: Length
Does it add length, yes, does this matter in hunting, no, I’ve never seen a person carry a rifle sideways through the thickets, something I myself love to hunt in.
You maneuver it carefully through obstacles at a slow pace in any case to avoid noise.

2: Weight, does it add weight, definitely, carrying the rifle for long periods will most definitely affect most people. This is something that can be, and should not be an issue in a human, like any exercise we can condition ourselves to be able to carry stuff. If you complain about the weight, leave that off the forum, that is something personal to the individual.

3: Noise, does it reduce noise, definitely, probably the difference between having hearing damage as you get older vs no ringing sound in your ears. Can this be fixed by other equip, definitely with stuff like earplugs or electronic earplugs. I will however tell you despite technology, electronic earplugs are not perfect. When hunting the thickets you lose one sense, sight, I often rely HEAVILY on sound as it tells me how much noise I am making (the faintest sounds), and it gives me the position of the animal if it moves or feeds.

4: Recoil, does it reduce recoil, a lot, and one can argue in any direction having less recoil gives you the advantage of seeing shot impacts or deflections better.

5: Handling (balance), does it change how the rifle handles, yes, does this matter, for 99% of people not a chance. Sorry to say but 99% of people have no business of shooting offhand, so when they are shooting over sticks the added weight does only give a more steady rifle, nothing less. If you are a T-Stone and come out and tell me you prefer the balance without a silencer I give you that, how many of you are T-stone’s that hunt for a living, less than 1%. For the rest of us the shot would not be interfered or hampered by having a suppressor fitted, it would in fact only help you.

6: Looks, does it ruin old beautiful vintage rifles, yes, if that is something that bothers you by all means, but keep it out of these kind of debates, since it’s mere cosmetics, not a physical problem/reality like the other topics.

So in short, look at your hunting destination, the shot requirements, and then go look at the above criteria and decide according to Pro’s and Con’s what would be best for that hunt.

Oracle of Gunsite Discussion Parameters: Defined and Locked In!

Looks like you blocked all the exits.

Congratulations.

You win.