Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do You Hunt With A Suppressor?

I know some farms don't allow hunting without a suppressor but I'm talking about if you had a choice.

Reasoning would be appreciated.

User

Default Re: Do You Hunt With A Suppressor?

Yes, I like my hearing intact..

As above. Why would you not hunt with one.

I use Ase Utra on all my calibers. they are 100mm long so very compact.

So they are sued on range and hunts.

I every 50 shots or so will throw them in my Hornady Sonic cleaner and give them a clean.

They are Stainless steel and not Aluminum. So will last a lifetime and then some

Banned

Yes, and only! With one on.
    Once you have looked into the subject medically and have a real time understanding of matter, you will liken shooting with out a suppressor to things like asbestos as fake snow or riding motor cycle with out a helmet.

Just plain stupid, unless you a tough guy, then it will not harm you.

User

A suppressed hunting rifle and not having to wear ear plugs or muffs is so much more of a pleasurable way to hunt than an un-suppressed rifle and one needing to wear plugs or muffs.

Believe me, out of personal experience from my youth, an un-suppressed rifle and no plugs or muffs definitely takes its toll... permanently.

Yes, because a good suppressor does exactly what it’s supposed to do. Suppresses the sound! I hate ear muffs or ear plugs, feels like i am off balance with something over or in my ears. But thats just me.

User

It depends...

On my 22 rifles, the suppressors only come off for cleaning.

Some of my center fire rifles have suppressors, others not yet. If the rifle fits in the safe with suppressor mounted, it stays on. So these go hunting with their suppressors.

One of my rifles shoots to the same POI with or without the suppressor. With this one I have a choice.

One day, all my rifles will be suppressed.

User

No.

I have had to euthanase a lot of cattle in the past and used a suppressor, but we were shooting in a herd and didn't want them all running off at the sound of the gun shot. I found the suppressor made the rifle extremely front end heavy, but we shot off a vehicle, so that was not a problem.

I can't see myself lugging a rifle with a suppressor on in the veld all day long with the added weight. I usually keep ear plugs in my pocket and use those as much as i can.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

No, and yes, I am hard hearing...

I cannot hunt properly walking and stalking in the bush with a suppressor fitted to a normal length rifle. It irritates me. I have tried it. Not working for me. I also like to carry a tripod with me when hunting as perfect shot placement are somewhat more important to me than other hunting factors. A suppressed rifle cannot be carried over ones shoulder without getting stuck in trees and with the tripod I don't have enough free hands to carry the rifle otherwise. When another hunter takes a shot I will always put my fingers in my ears. With my shorter firearms (AR15, Ruger 10/22, Ruger PC Carbine) the suppressors stay on. As far as possible I shoot with suppressors and always with hearing protection as well, except for hunting shots.

Yes, I would not hunt without one. A reflex suppressor does not add much length to the rifle and does not make it front heavy. I will not hunt with another person who does not have one fitted. I appreciate my good hearing and don't want to wear muffs or plugs in the veld all day long. On the range, I don't mind, but even there it gets annoying when Frikkie shoots his un-suppressed canon without warning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast