Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I once managed to shoot a clover leaf group at 120m with a 303 and some corroded milsurp ammo. Sadly, I could not repeat the performance, but I have seen a few (very few) SMLE's that could actually shoot very small groups. The action is certainly capable.
    I have a 100 year old CLLE that shoots MOA groups so yes they are certainly capable
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    The only 303 double that I've ever seen with my own eyes was on the Durbanville shooting range and belonged to a collector here in Cape Town. Haven't seen him (or the rifle) for a few years but am pretty sure he'll still have it. Then I know of a double hammergun .303 that changed hands round about 2010 in the Mossel Bay area. I reacted a bit too slowly otherwise it would have been living in my safe ever since but at least I had a long conversation with the seller. I seem to recall that one was bought by a collector in Oudtshoorn.

If you Google .303 double rifle you'll come up with a few. That sort of calibre double rifle doesn't have too many practical applications so not many of them were built. In general, a double rifle is used close up on dangerous game and a .303 isn't the best choice for that sort of work, you'd rather want something where your thumb can fit into the muzzle.
    I almost bought a Rawbone 303 double. Unfortunately the owner had tank blued it and that destroyed the solder holding the rib to the barrels…

Banned

Default Re: Building a .303 bolt action - but doing it better.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    I almost bought a Rawbone 303 double. Unfortunately the owner had tank blued it and that destroyed the solder holding the rib to the barrels…
    I do believe you were crying softly when you told me about this a few years ago.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I do believe you were crying softly when you told me about this a few years ago.
    I still am!!!

Banned

Default Re: Building a .303 bolt action - but doing it better.

I am corresponding with an Aussie who has a Lee action 30-40 Krag rifle. Keeping with the rimmed cartridge but ballistics are down on the 303. He has not explained why this combination.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6