Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Does a brake on a silencer make a difference to recoil?

My rifle has a standard silencer fitted. It does an awesome job at supressing sound. I also believe that recoil is less with the silencer fitted, but that might only be perception due to less noise?

This weekend i had a person next to me on the range, same calibre as mine. He had an internal muzzle brake and external muzzle brake fitted to his silencer. I was able to shoot his rifle, to me there was not a noticeable difference in recoil between my rifle and his. However his rifle was a lot lighter than mine hence more recoil in any event?

Now the internal brake to me makes no sense, as the muzzle blast has nowhere to go except out the front. The front brake i suppose could help, but it only has two ports?

Dunno, anyone with experience out there?

User

Default Re: Does a brake on a silencer make a difference to recoil?

Best guy to talk to about this is Uncle Jerry from Sustac.

They have done the homework, tested(and measured) many different designs and configurations.

User

My understanding of recoil is that it is the combined function of the accelaring force in the bullet and propellant, plus the "jet" effect of the gas exiting the muzzle.

Muzzle brakes divert this jet to decrease recoil, suppressors decelerate the jet, decreasing sound and recoil. My understanding of an internal brake is that it assists in this declaration, so more like a modified first baffle than true brake.

In low recoiling, small case volume rifles, an external brake probably has too little gas volume going through the ports to further decrease recoil, but in bigger volume cases and higher recoiling rifles, the difference becomes noticeable. I have stood next to a silencer with external brake on a 6.5CM, and the blast from the brake was considerable. Not uncomfortable like a pure muzzle brake, but definitely noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    My rifle has a standard silencer fitted. It does an awesome job at supressing sound. I also believe that recoil is less with the silencer fitted, but that might only be perception due to less noise?

This weekend i had a person next to me on the range, same calibre as mine. He had an internal muzzle brake and external muzzle brake fitted to his silencer. I was able to shoot his rifle, to me there was not a noticeable difference in recoil between my rifle and his. However his rifle was a lot lighter than mine hence more recoil in any event?

Now the internal brake to me makes no sense, as the muzzle blast has nowhere to go except out the front. The front brake i suppose could help, but it only has two ports?

Dunno, anyone with experience out there?
    Here is a very good (short) Sus-tac video demonstrating recoil reduction without a suppressor or brake, then only a suppressor and then with suppressor and brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Best guy to talk to about this is Uncle Jerry from Sustac.

They have done the homework, tested(and measured) many different designs and configurations.
    Yes, i currently have a Sustac silencer, really works well. Spoke with them yesterday and they claim that recoil reduction is more than 50% when i add a brake to the front. Had my doubts, till i watched SoldierMan's video that he posted. Seems to be true then, but again the video is made by the manufacturer??? Independent would be more convincing. But i have read a lot of their reviews and tests in Man Magnum and they seem to know what they are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Here is a very good (short) Sus-tac video demonstrating recoil reduction without a suppressor or brake, then only a suppressor and then with suppressor and brake.

Thanks, eye opener for sure!

Recoil is the thrust of escaping gas along the bore axis. thT more gas that can be diverted from exiting the muzzle, the less the recoil.

Banned

And then there is the kind of stock you using !
    You think suppressors make a difference, shoot with a bad stock, then you will learn about recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    And then there is the kind of stock you using !
    You think suppressors make a difference, shoot with a bad stock, then you will learn about recoil.
    Yes! I had a Sako 7x64 with a stock like that, think montecarlo? My mate had same caliber, but a Mauser with a straight stock. Mine kicked like a mule and his was a pleasure to shoot.

Banned

Pre 64 will tell you about the CZ and the 375, its interesting to notice that he twitch's a bit when relating to that rifle - usually offers you a drink after story. His drink will be noticeably darker than yours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast