Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default silverrapids.co.za .223 powder coated ammo

Good day fellas.

Not sure if you are aware of this.

I just spoke to Gavin from silver rapids and they are in the process of developing .223 powder coated bullets which according to them should be available in a few months.

I will be intensely waiting on these bullets and will be sure to update here once they are ready.

Default Re: silverrapids.co.za .223 powder coated ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard68 View Post
    Good day fellas.

Not sure if you are aware of this.

I just spoke to Gavin from silver rapids and they are in the process of developing .223 powder coated bullets which according to them should be available in a few months.

I will be intensely waiting on these bullets and will be sure to update here once they are ready.
    Exciting stuff!

Most polymer coatings will not be able to stay intact travelling at 3000+ ft/s down the barrel. Wonder how they'll perform.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I think you will have to limit your loads @ +/- 2400 ft/s, a lot of guys shooting coated lead bullets in the states. will be good for plinking and learning how to handle your AR. probably not good for shooting further than 200m but lekker if you want to go 3gun or just unload a couple of mags.

I for one welcome this and is super excited.

By the way from what can tell, they already have 7.62 AK bullets available not that the AK guys are battling for affordable ammo to my understanding.

Well. To save even more. Cast your own and coat them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I think you will start drinking and smoking heavily after just a few .224 cal bullets being produced - just too finicky sized for home jobbing it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard68 View Post
    I think you will have to limit your loads @ +/- 2400 ft/s, a lot of guys shooting coated lead bullets in the states. will be good for plinking and learning how to handle your AR. probably not good for shooting further than 200m but lekker if you want to go 3gun or just unload a couple of mags.

I for one welcome this and is super excited.
    Yeah, real 3 gun includes ranges much further than what I believe you are thinking of, also vast majority of rifle competition shooters shoot IPSC where targets are engaged much further ranges. Also at that velocity you are not going to make Minor Power Factor in IPSC Rifle.

I dunno. I see no point to a bullet designed for 223 remington that only uses 2/3 of what it is supposed too

User

Interesting, but unless they have gas checks I'm sure you still going to have issues at 2400fps.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Interesting, but unless they have gas checks I'm sure you still going to have issues at 2400fps.
    Not if Poly Coated
    The powder coating negates the requirement of gas checks, but the rotational issues associated with lead at speed will still limit velocity severely.

I am predicting and have been since I saw my first powder coated bullet, that we will see in the near future a new coating formula which will make copper jackets obsolete. Its just a matter of playing with the properties of the polymers, epoxies and the right for bullets properties will be found.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post

I have been wanting to cast my own bullets for some time now, I'm struggling to source a split mould for the .223 though - any idea where I can buy one?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast