Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: silverrapids.co.za .223 powder coated ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard68 View Post
    hey man,

where do you get the PC from and is there a specific brand that you recommend?

I've the Adendorff powder in red, yellow and blue. The blue was the only one of those I could get to work ok. A member of my club generously gave me a bottle of a blue powder that a large supplier's chemist recommended based on his description of what it was to be used for and it is streets ahead. Flows to detail and covers evenly and almost completely every time. I can't remember the name of the company but its a big manufacturer/supplier on the east rand.

PC seems like difficult stuff to get in the quantities that we use for bullets. I'm at least 10k 9mm bullets and about 1k 12g slugs in to the 750 odd grams I was given and I'm less than halfway through

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I've the Adendorff powder in red, yellow and blue. The blue was the only one of those I could get to work ok. A member of my club generously gave me a bottle of a blue powder that a large supplier's chemist recommended based on his description of what it was to be used for and it is streets ahead. Flows to detail and covers evenly and almost completely every time. I can't remember the name of the company but its a big manufacturer/supplier on the east rand.

PC seems like difficult stuff to get in the quantities that we use for bullets. I'm at least 10k 9mm bullets and about 1k 12g slugs in to the 750 odd grams I was given and I'm less than halfway through
    well should you ever happen to get hold of the brand I will really appreciate it.

User

hey man,

where do you get the PC from and is there a specific brand that you recommend?
    Bullet Corp sells their own product.

Range of colors available: https://www.bulletcorp.co.za/BCB-Coa...CB-Coating-Red

User

well should you ever happen to get hold of the brand I will really appreciate it.
    I'll see if I can dig it out. When I looked into it previously the minimum quantities were enormous, like 10's of kilograms. They are an industrial supplier and the stuff I got was a small portion or an evaluation sample. I'd suggest speaking directly to local powder coating applicators and seeing if you can get leftovers from them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I'll see if I can dig it out. When I looked into it previously the minimum quantities were enormous, like 10's of kilograms. They are an industrial supplier and the stuff I got was a small portion or an evaluation sample. I'd suggest speaking directly to local powder coating applicators and seeing if you can get leftovers from them.
    The powder coating guys will not use spilled or dropped powder, nor will the suppliers sell packs that have split or torn, I was told this while searching for powder in the early days of powder coating. Evidently it is just not worth it to sell it and find some dust or grit in the compound after application to a R100000 job.
    Depending on amounts it is sent back for re-refining filtering etc or dumped. Same with the users, the bits that get messed or packets that have split are just dumped.

I approached a random bloke at some place somewhere in PE and he said he would try remember to collect some for me. I asked what he drinks and answered his "why ?" with so I can bring you a case when I collect the spillings.
    I got a call about 3 weeks later and received a assortment of bottles, tins etc with powder in them as the various guys in work shop found some for me, but this is not where the bulk of my powder came from. The bulk of my powder came from the empty or almost empty plastic bags he gave me, the bags the stuff is supplied in, if you take the bag and hold it up, shake it and some effort you end up with a egg size lump of powder in the corner thats lowest (not the kinda thing they bother doing in a factory).

A small effort rewarded me with a loaf of bread size pack of one color and a few Peanut butter jars of other colors - enough for more than I will ever use.

Perhaps you can use same method till you find the color that works for you, then buy it in quantity if you need.

I think it was a redish purple that flowed nicely for me.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    The powder coating guys will not use spilled or dropped powder, nor will the suppliers sell packs that have split or torn, I was told this while searching for powder in the early days of powder coating. Evidently it is just not worth it to sell it and find some dust or grit in the compound after application to a R100000 job.
    Depending on amounts it is sent back for re-refining filtering etc or dumped. Same with the users, the bits that get messed or packets that have split are just dumped.

I approached a random bloke at some place somewhere in PE and he said he would try remember to collect some for me. I asked what he drinks and answered his "why ?" with so I can bring you a case when I collect the spillings.
    I got a call about 3 weeks later and received a assortment of bottles, tins etc with powder in them as the various guys in work shop found some for me, but this is not where the bulk of my powder came from. The bulk of my powder came from the empty or almost empty plastic bags he gave me, the bags the stuff is supplied in, if you take the bag and hold it up, shake it and some effort you end up with a egg size lump of powder in the corner thats lowest (not the kinda thing they bother doing in a factory).

A small effort rewarded me with a loaf of bread size pack of one color and a few Peanut butter jars of other colors - enough for more than I will ever use.

Perhaps you can use same method till you find the color that works for you, then buy it in quantity if you need.

I think it was a redish purple that flowed nicely for me.
    Thanks for the feedback @treeman, I will be sure to give this a go.

There are a few powder coat suppliers. Ask for samples. They usually sell one kilo or so in separate bags as samples.

There are different grades and types, You need one that cures in around 15 minutes at 200 degrees C.

I find that the post-box red has the best coverage for bullets.
    Last edited by 414gates; 15-09-2021 at 12:09. Reason: spelling

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    There are a few powder coat suppliers. Ask for samples. They usually sell one kilo or so in separate bags as samples.

There are different grades and types, You need one that cures in around 15 minutes at 200 degrees C.

I find that the post-box red has the best coverage for bullets.
    Is there a supplier and powder and one you could recommend? I'd like to get a kilo of something good if possible so that I've got a 'rest of life' supply secured.

I last bought a few kilos years ago from a place in Germiston, but I don't remember the name.

Google and call, there are a number of them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    I last bought a few kilos years ago from a place in Germiston, but I don't remember the name.

Google and call, there are a number of them.
    Thanks, will give it a try.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3