Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ammunition Collecting

Hi.

In order to become an ammunition collector, does it also require a theme?

I have an interest in the different ammunition types, if you do require a theme, does "Centre Fire Rifle Cartridges", or "Centre Fire Handgun Cartridges" fulfil the requirement?

If someone has already done this, or can guide me to the right place to start, would really appreciate it.

Thank you

User

Default Re: Ammunition Collecting

A theme helps, but allowance is also made for "general collecting". When the Cartridge Collectors Association was still operating, they would supply you with a list of so-called "collectible cartridges" that you would submit to the SAPS with your application. That list was basically everything in Catridges of the World and some others.

In your motivation you should say what you want to collect, and briefly explain why - same as explaining why you want a particular firearm when applying for a licence.

The SAPS don't seem to have clear guidelines on how to deal with ammunition collecting so I think just about anything goes as long as it has bore size 12.5mm or smaller. It seems that they will allow exceptions to that limitation in cases of things like 40mm stopper gun shotshells.

User

Hi, I did my collectors through Cartridge collectors association when it still operated. I can send you what I had from that time although you may need to join a different association and see what their requirements are.

User

You can still do it, but need to be part of accredited association. I am with PAAA and went through the whole process again as the previous association I was with was no longer jn good standing. I will gladly assist if you need some help, otherwise just contact one of the associations, they are also very helpful :)

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    A theme helps, but allowance is also made for "general collecting". When the Cartridge Collectors Association was still operating, they would supply you with a list of so-called "collectible cartridges" that you would submit to the SAPS with your application. That list was basically everything in Catridges of the World and some others.

In your motivation you should say what you want to collect, and briefly explain why - same as explaining why you want a particular firearm when applying for a licence.

The SAPS don't seem to have clear guidelines on how to deal with ammunition collecting so I think just about anything goes as long as it has bore size 12.5mm or smaller. It seems that they will allow exceptions to that limitation in cases of things like 40mm stopper gun shotshells.
    Thank you. This does clear up some of the things I was not sure about, especially the fact that saps themselves don't have much on ammunition guidelines, other than the display requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by MohamedD View Post
    Hi, I did my collectors through Cartridge collectors association when it still operated. I can send you what I had from that time although you may need to join a different association and see what their requirements are.
    Please can you send it through to me. Is your collection still valid, seeing that the association is no more or have you joined a new one?

I will really appreciate it, then work my way through it and consider the next step. Just want more background and motivation guidelines etc.

If email is easier - Mahomedy13@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    You can still do it, but need to be part of accredited association. I am with PAAA and went through the whole process again as the previous association I was with was no longer jn good standing. I will gladly assist if you need some help, otherwise just contact one of the associations, they are also very helpful :)

Thank you. Seeing that you have just completed again - how long did the process take, and about how much was the total cost?

User

Application fee is the same as firearm license, about R140. Association is about R500 per year, cannot remember if there is a reduced fee foe cartridge collector only as I am both firearm and cartridge collector.
    I submitted the application in November last year and got approved on Friday.
    Mind you the DFO only captured the application in May this year.
    They did lose most of my docs that was attached to application, however a Captain did email me about 2 weeks ago asking me to send him my membership docs and was approved from there.
    Main issue SAPS has is storage of the collection. Must be in a safe place and according to the act, not in glass case in living room unless its tailor made and a bit more secure.
    Mine is still locked in safe. Idea is to build a strong room and display the collection within.

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    Application fee is the same as firearm license, about R140. Association is about R500 per year, cannot remember if there is a reduced fee foe cartridge collector only as I am both firearm and cartridge collector.
    I submitted the application in November last year and got approved on Friday.
    Mind you the DFO only captured the application in May this year.
    They did lose most of my docs that was attached to application, however a Captain did email me about 2 weeks ago asking me to send him my membership docs and was approved from there.
    Main issue SAPS has is storage of the collection. Must be in a safe place and according to the act, not in glass case in living room unless its tailor made and a bit more secure.
    Mine is still locked in safe. Idea is to build a strong room and display the collection within.

Thank you! Perfect, I'll get in touch with PAAA for membership fees for ammo collectors only.

One more thing - are you limited to ammunition per calibre, or how many rounds can you possess? What's the limitations?

User

There are not many limitations. My previous permit specified "Not applicable" in the limit of rounds. If you collect headstamps only - take 303 British as example - there are way more than 200 variations.
    Regarding the what, there are limitations specified in the act under prohibited items (Rockets, live mortars etc). Some of these can still be collected, however you would require and explosive permit if I remember correctly. The association can guide you a bit more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast