Question Section 15 without hunting experience

I'm inheriting 3 rifles from a relative and intend to license them under section 15 for occasional hunting and I've purchased a handgun that i want to license under occasional sport shooting.
    Natshoots refusal reasons document lists not providing any evidence of hunting or sports shooting as a reason for refusal. I don't have any pictures of me hunting as they were many years ago and I've never been sports shooting how can they expect a person to compete without a firearm in the first place? is my license app going to denied based on the fact I've provided no evidence of prior activities?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Section 15 without hunting experience

So you can get letters from buddies you have hunted with or farmers you have hunted at it will help. Also any pics can be attached. Detail in you motivation that you have hunted in the past and want to start again now that you have been given the rifles. For the sport shooting gun you joining NHSA should suffice and you can detail that you will be partaking in their shooting tables. Their endorsements of your motivations will help. Quick question if you plan to shoot the handgun more than twice a year and use the hinting rifles more than twice a year just do their DH/DSS grading and become dedicated.

Will these be the first guns you own?

i had no photos of previous hunts when i applied for my occasional license. I did write in my motivation that I had previously hunted and been to the range and I think I got friends to state this in their references. You don't have to have previous experience to get an occasional license, although it may help

User

You have to motivate your need for the firearm.

Personally I feel that the CFR does not really take a serious stance(or any thing else work related) on past events or accomplishments into account.

Join a your local club and a personal favorite of mine NHSA.
    - Both should should have a activity list which you can use in your motivation.

If you have a family member/friend who has a farm, ask them to write you a letter giving you permission to hunt on there farm.

As a short example:

I have this .243 rifle which I want license in my name to so I can go hunting. It is suitable for hunting springbok and similar sized game without causing excessive meat damage.

- Research on why .243 win is suitable and not 22lr and 300 Win Mag

- I have a letter from my friend name that lives on this farm that gives permission to hunt on his farms.

I also joined my local club name since they have a 100m range. At the range I can zero my scope, do load development and practice before an upcoming hunting event.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    So you can get letters from buddies you have hunted with or farmers you have hunted at it will help. Also any pics can be attached. Detail in you motivation that you have hunted in the past and want to start again now that you have been given the rifles. For the sport shooting gun you joining NHSA should suffice and you can detail that you will be partaking in their shooting tables. Their endorsements of your motivations will help. Quick question if you plan to shoot the handgun more than twice a year and use the hinting rifles more than twice a year just do their DH/DSS grading and become dedicated.

Will these be the first guns you own?
    They will be the first guns do I need to mention the other guns in each license and why they dont suit the tasks I wish to license the others for?

User

Correct me if im wrong but you will only be able to apply for one section 15 license & the other rifles will have to be section 16 ?
    This means you need to get dedicated status for sport or hunting before applying.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but you will only be able to apply for one section 15 license & the other rifles will have to be section 16 ?
    This means you need to get dedicated status for sport or hunting before applying.

Hang on it seems this only applies to handguns not rifles, so i may be talking crap ?

Licence to possess firearm for occasional hunting and sports-shooting
    (1) A firearm in respect of which a licence may be issued in terms of this section
    is any-
    (a) handgun which is not fully automatic;
    (b) rifle or shotgun which is not fully or semi-automatic; or
    (c) barrel, frame or receiver of a handgun, rifle or shotgun contemplated in
    paragraph (a) or (b)

(c) A person may not hold more than one licence in respect of a handgun
    contemplated in subsection (1) (a).

PepeFrogMan, each gun needs to be motivated as to why you want it. So basically I try and answer the following point in my motivations:
    1. Foremost why I have a need for this gun i.e. I would like to hunt, need a rifle as cannot rent or borrow one;
    2. Show that you do or will partake in occasional hunting/shooting i.e. membership, letter of invite from farmer or friend;
    3. Prove why this speicifc calibre and rifle is what I need;
    4. Why other guns I already have licensed DO NOT meet the requirements of my need;

Basically the idea for me is to say why I need this or these rifles. Hrd sometimes when the need is more want though!

You can as far as I am aware motivate more the 1 firearm in an application (Check maybe with DFO). Make ure each firearm though is motivated accrodingly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DaavG; 10-09-2021 at 15:38. Reason: Spelling

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by PepeFrogMan View Post
    They will be the first guns do I need to mention the other guns in each license and why they dont suit the tasks I wish to license the others for?
    You can but I wouldn't bother as there is nothing on your name and it might create confusion, just detail how the firearm pertaining to the application will suit your needs and that you are looking to get other firearms too.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.