Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 224 Valkyrie

User

Default 224 Valkyrie

Hi Everyone.

I have been thinking of a Savage AR15 in .224Valkyrie since I first saw it.
    I know ammo will be a headache- but I can reload. I know up to 500meter it does not outperform a .223Rem.

The idea is for general fun, for having s MSR and if I might start shooting IPSC Rifle again. And for having a gun others don't have.

User

Default Re: 224 Valkyrie

Just remember its not designed for lighter 224 projectiles, so reloading will be pricey if shooting it in any of the action sports.

That said from my reading it doesnt seem to live up to its performance claims.

Banned

Guns are to men what jewellery is to women.

And I know that you are inherently fair.

I'll tell Mrs Finkelstein that she can start looking around for jewellery, and that your budget is R20K - R25K

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Hi Everyone.

I know ammo will be a headache- but I can reload. I know up to 500meter it does not outperform a .223Rem.

The idea is for general fun, for having s MSR and if I might start shooting IPSC Rifle again. And for having a gun others don't have.
    I really like the concept of a heavy, high-BC .224" bullet. Having used 75 and 80gn bullets out of 223 Rem bolt action rifles, the practicality of the heavy-for-caliber bullets really appeal to me.

The 224 Valkyrie is designed around heavy bullets, so it should perform even better than the 223 Rem. All good so far.

Now to the logistics: You will need to source a batch of these cases. They are not likely to be available on the once-fired market locally, so getting hold of them may be a challenge and cost you a significant amount of cash. Same goes for a die set. Your whole supply of ammo for all purposes will be limited to the number of cases you can source. Then you feed these scarce cases to a rifle that likes to throw them away...

So now you need to have a brass catcher permanently attached.

Then you also have to consider how much of the theoretical advantage the cartridge possesses can actually be exploited by the chosen rifle. Is the Savage AR15 really the best tool for shooting past 500m?

Only you can really answer these questions.

I would rather have an accurate bolt action in this caliber. For SLR's I prefer common-as-dirt ammo and cases.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I would rather have an accurate bolt action in this caliber. For SLR's I prefer common-as-dirt ammo and cases.
    That sounds like excellent advice to me. I don't have an SLR and haven't yet decided that I will but if I do it will absolutely have to be in commie and will live on a diet of Chinese food bought in bulk as and when available.

Banned

If you ask from either a financial or logistical point of view, it would be wiser to get something in 223 or maybe even 308. Like you say, ammo would be a headache.

On the other hand, it is probably one of those itches that one may scratch. Go ahead - I doubt that you will regret it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    If you ask from either a financial or logistical point of view, it would be wiser to get something in 223 or maybe even 308. Like you say, ammo would be a headache.

On the other hand, it is probably one of those itches that one may scratch. Go ahead - I doubt that you will regret it.
    Haha If you decide to shoot a Ipsc rifle match, please not in my squad because you'll probably be the guy who doesn't score and patch but only pick up brass till you find all of yours.
    Or otherwise you might be the best guy in the squad, because you become very good at finding brass hopefully finding even all my brass in the process. To keep you "motivated" I might keep 1 or 2 of your cases in my pocket till the end of the day. LoL
    May I suggest that you first get a PCC rifle for MSR matches etc and the 224 for reserved special fun? Enjoy

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Haha If you decide to shoot a Ipsc rifle match, please not in my squad because you'll probably be the guy who doesn't score and patch but only pick up brass till you find all of yours.
    Or otherwise you might be the best guy in the squad, because you become very good at finding brass hopefully finding even all my brass in the process. To keep you "motivated" I might keep 1 or 2 of your cases in my pocket till the end of the day. LoL
    May I suggest that you first get a PCC rifle for MSR matches etc and the 224 for reserved special fun? Enjoy
    Haha, my experience with IPSC is most guys aren't overly concerned with their brass, so long as they get some of it back.
    Also... once my 6mm ARC is licensed ill come shoot a match with you

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Hi Everyone.

My worst fear is to leave this earth with a fully paid credit card. Find it and buy it, you wont regret it!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tman21 View Post
    My worst fear is to leave this earth with a fully paid credit card. Find it and buy it, you wont regret it!
    As long as you don't outlive your pension fund. LoL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast