Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default KZN residents EDC question. Is EDC effectively banned?

Firstly this isn’t another drinking and carrying question that has been covered extensively on the forum, I want to specifically ask about the “KWAZULU-NATAL LIQUOR LICENSING ACT NO 6 of 2010” (“the KZN Act”).
    The act states in section 93(1)(H) that “No person may-be in possession of a firearm on premises in respect of which a licence has been issued, except for the owner or manager of the premises or a police officer on duty.”
    The KZN Act also backs this up with a provision in s96 which states that any person who is in breach of section 93: “…is, on conviction, liable to a fine, or imprisonment not exceeding five years, or to both such fine and such imprisonment.”
    This fine and/or imprisonment is directed at the person carrying and not the licensed establishment.

There is a similar national piece of legislation passed in the form of the “National Liquor Norms and Standards” which is part of the The National Liquor Act, 59 of 2003. The Norms and Standards In 4.11 states that “Right of admission to liquor premises is reserved and no weapons or sharp objects are permitted inside on-consumption liquor premises.” However in my opinion this is rather toothless because (to the best of my knowledge) there is no penalty section attached to said clause.

Therefore, my question is to KZN residents, is the KZN Act totally ignored in practice and what are residents feelings regarding carrying in places like shops that sell alcohol or bars and restaurants all of which this Act applies to?
    As a side note does anyone in the rest of the country have any concern regarding the Liquor norms provision 4.11?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: KZN residents EDC question. Is EDC effectively banned?

Quote Originally Posted by DDB View Post
    Firstly this isn’t another drinking and carrying question that has been covered extensively on the forum, I want to specifically ask about the “KWAZULU-NATAL LIQUOR LICENSING ACT NO 6 of 2010” (“the KZN Act”).
    The act states in section 93(1)(H) that “No person may-be in possession of a firearm on premises in respect of which a licence has been issued, except for the owner or manager of the premises or a police officer on duty.”
    The KZN Act also backs this up with a provision in s96 which states that any person who is in breach of section 93: “…is, on conviction, liable to a fine, or imprisonment not exceeding five years, or to both such fine and such imprisonment.”
    This fine and/or imprisonment is directed at the person carrying and not the licensed establishment.

There is a similar national piece of legislation passed in the form of the “National Liquor Norms and Standards” which is part of the The National Liquor Act, 59 of 2003. The Norms and Standards In 4.11 states that “Right of admission to liquor premises is reserved and no weapons or sharp objects are permitted inside on-consumption liquor premises.” However in my opinion this is rather toothless because (to the best of my knowledge) there is no penalty section attached to said clause.

Therefore, my question is to KZN residents, is the KZN Act totally ignored in practice and what are residents feelings regarding carrying in places like shops that sell alcohol or bars and restaurants all of which this Act applies to?
    As a side note does anyone in the rest of the country have any concern regarding the Liquor norms provision 4.11?

Well the general answer is that national law trumps provincial

User

Also, nobody obeys that law.
    I've never not carried because they sell alcohol

I never carry if I plan to get pissed

But that again doesn't seem to apply alot in KZN haha

User

Therefore, my question is to KZN residents, is the KZN Act totally ignored in practice
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    Well the general answer is that national law trumps provincial
    Very good point GAZZAMCK, however, which national law would be incompatible with the KZN Act which is to our benefit?

Therefore, my question is to KZN residents, is the KZN Act totally ignored in practice
    It gets ignored!

I participated in a gong shoot this weekend. Prize giving was in a club/pub afterwards. We had to park in the street. Now you are between a rock and a hard place. Nobody was going to leave their rifle in a vehicle in the street. So we all walked into the bar with our rifles and plonked them against the first wall. One of the prizes was rifle on display.

I would estimate that 70% where also carrying EDC's.

Scary thing was, after prize giving you walked up to your rifle took it and left. Could have taken any rifle, nobody batted an eye. Suppose us rifle shooters are more honest than golfers.

Nonsensical law. "no weapons or sharp objects are permitted inside on-consumption liquor premise". So no steak knifes or kebab sticks in a restaurant then.

User

Very good point GAZZAMCK, however, which national law would be incompatible with the KZN Act which is to our benefit?

Constitutionally the right to self defense and life (should a robbery occur)
    The FCA is national law, and doesn't stipulate the KZN liquor act.

The owners may excersize their right of admission and ask you to leave

I have never actually heard of SAPS enforcing this law here in KZN

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    It gets ignored!

I participated in a gong shoot this weekend. Prize giving was in a club/pub afterwards. We had to park in the street. Now you are between a rock and a hard place. Nobody was going to leave their rifle in a vehicle in the street. So we all walked into the bar with our rifles and plonked them against the first wall. One of the prizes was rifle on display.

I would estimate that 70% where also carrying EDC's.

Scary thing was, after prize giving you walked up to your rifle took it and left. Could have taken any rifle, nobody batted an eye. Suppose us rifle shooters are more honest than golfers.
    Until someone isn't and the GFSA crowd come down on all of us.....
    At the quarry, two gentlemen were sighting in their rifles at the 100m, they took a walk to inspect their targets, walked back to their bench and poof rifles gone

The local hunters got a upgrade from .303 rusted enfields to two new .308 howas...

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    Until someone isn't and the GFSA crowd come down on all of us.....
    At the quarry, two gentlemen were sighting in their rifles at the 100m, they took a walk to inspect their targets, walked back to their bench and poof rifles gone

The local hunters got a upgrade from .303 rusted enfields to two new .308 howas...
    Wow, thought us gun owners were a better bunch than that. Will keep that in mind next time I use the range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast