Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: A letter to all doomsayers and despair monkeys.

Sunshine and Lollipops….Unicorns And Leprechaun….Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed!! If You Happy and you know it clap you hands!!

Pass Your Meds Around Bud!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    I wanted to write this a long time and put it off for work reasons, but here goes.

I have seen a pattern when news stories at home and abroad come up (mostly at home) where certain commenters (not mentioning names) automatically take the absolute most negative, nihilistic interpretation of such reports. Basically their responses can be summed up as follows:
    1) cANCer will never be voted out
    2) There will never be racial reconciliation;
    3) a gun ban is inevitable and there is nothing we can do about it;
    4) EWC is inevitable and there is nothing we can do about it;
    5) The end of the world is near;
    6) We are all going to die;
    7) We are all going to Hell;

Now, I am a realist. Our country is in a bad state. The world as a whole is in a bad state. We will need to work hard to fight those threatening our rights in this country and abroad, and reverse any damage already done. I think it is absolutely necessary to discuss everything that are wrong with our country to bring attention to them, and come up with possible solutions. But certain people seem to use the bad news as excuses to wallow in misery, retreat into conspiracy theories, call for mass emigration or basically roll over and die. To those people, I wish to say the following:

Shut up.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the myriad of problems our country faces, no solutions, then you are part of the problem. Wallowing in misery and succumbing to despair is toxic and highly infectious, and helps nobody. Saying "there is no hope we might as well kill ourselves" is the worst possible solution to any problem.

I am pushing forty, have no skills that would translate into a job overseas. I cannot picture myself living in a Woke shithole like Australia, New Zealand or Canada (which are basically police states about now). This country is where my life began, and where it will also end. For better or worse.

So, I intend to stand up, raise issues about what is wrong with our country, fight for change whenever I have the power and opportunity to do so, and pray. The only alternative for me is to roll over and die.

I will be wearing out my beads for our beautiful country and it's citizens, including the members of this forum.
    You say it as if things going to shit is a bad thing?

I think it's fantastic, change only happens in these adverse circumstances, NOT when things are perceived to be great or even just ok.

Embrace the chaos, you only grow through shit happening to your life. It's up you. or us as a society, as per the OP, to do the hard work now to make things "better" when we emerge from the upheaval. Sometimes things need to get destroyed, or come to an end in order for it to be rebuilt. Hanging onto failed relationships or circumstances don't bring change for the better, it only prolongs the agony.

These are very scary times with many many challenges, different to the late 80's and early 90's in many or most respects, but very exciting too and no easier to navigate. Blind optimism , denial or false hope can however be very destructive too, it makes it very difficult to move forward.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    I meant no offense, though that does sound patronizing. My apologies.
    No offense taken and no need for apologies.

User

Well, pretty sure you had people on the Titanic who stayed positive until their toes were in freezing waters or jews who could not believe that they would be going to camps. I am sure there were Rhodesians, white Kenyans, Portugese felt the same as you. Anyways you can be as positive as you want, it is not going to change SA's course. Die koel is deur die kerk, dwarsdeur die preekstoel.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I am content with staying in RSA. But I am really "gatvol" as well. Infrastructure is literally falling to pieces and our government is not governing anything. We are clearly very close to a failed state. The chance of loosing about everything we have is there. That said, I have no other options, don't want to leave. I am content, but surely complaining is not constructive, but at least its something to do.... I try to turn complaining time and resources into preparing time. Preparing for what you may ask. For our failed state and the chaos that will erupt before long.

User

Default A letter to all doomsayers and despair monkeys.

My search engine Afrikaans translator returned this confusing statement…
    “The cool is through the church, throughout the pulpit.”
    Your language is a bugger for a stiff-brained American…I’ll surely be known as a one-word-wonder!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    I wanted to write this a long time and put it off for work reasons, but here goes.

I have seen a pattern when news stories at home and abroad come up (mostly at home) where certain commenters (not mentioning names) automatically take the absolute most negative, nihilistic interpretation of such reports. Basically their responses can be summed up as follows:
    1) cANCer will never be voted out
    2) There will never be racial reconciliation;
    3) a gun ban is inevitable and there is nothing we can do about it;
    4) EWC is inevitable and there is nothing we can do about it;
    5) The end of the world is near;
    6) We are all going to die;
    7) We are all going to Hell;

Well to be perfectly honest, no 6 is true. Nobody can realistically expect to live forever. Make peace with the fact that life here on earth is temporary. That sommer takes care of no 5 as well. The world ends for you the day that you die.

The rest can all be mitigated or sorted out with the right kind and amount of effort.

Just one thing, you can not get rid of the ruling kleptocracy if you play by their rules. Some lateral thinking may be required.

User

"Holeful" lol, ie extremely fed up, pissed off or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    My search engine Afrikaans translator returned this confusing statement…
    “The cool is through the church, throughout the pulpit.”
    Your language is a bugger for a stiff-brained American…I’ll surely be known as a one-word-wonder!
    I know it as “koel” not kool. But I’m English, so there’s that…

It’s meant as “ the bullet has been fired right through the church” . Many interpretations but image of having an accidental or intended shot that goes through the church…

Can’t be taken back and now the shits going to come down… or words to that effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
    I know it as “koel” not kool. But I’m English, so there’s that…

It’s meant as “ the bullet has been fired right through the church” . Many interpretations but image of having an accidental or intended shot that goes through the church…

Can’t be taken back and now the shits going to come down… or words to that effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Finally... something about guns again

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast