Banned

Default Barnes TTSX - here I go again.

They work, but .............................. Ya well no fine.

The above about sums it up, I do not find them a leap forward in any great way, not even in a small way actually. They no better than Spartans, GS Customs or Peregrines but with great marketing and huge backing, GS Customs had better penetration and the Peregrines and Spartans have to date held together better.

So far I think the Spartans and Peregrines have killed quicker as well, but that is just such never prove or disprove matter, lets just leave it out.

To date I am using the TTSX in only one caliber, the 7mm 08 at 120 gr bullets doing about 2900 fps. To date I have recovered 4 bullets, one fell through the hole in my pants created by my BUG guns barrel, it was the most perfectly deformed bullet one can imagine, text book stuff.
    The other the butchers wife found on his table where he kept it for me and threw it away, I never got to see that one.
    I also have two bullets recovered from Kudu that were shoulder shot, both have broken into two pieces and remnants were collected under far skin.

Now from the absolute rave reports I have had, I never expected to recover a bullet until some unusual event happened, but I have recovered 4 so far.

Kill time?, not that impressive at all, small animals that are well shot using low meat damage shots behind the shoulder behave in a rather un-shot manner of running to within tripping distance of a 100 m. Large animals die over the same spectrum of manner as they do with cup core or bonded bullets.

I seem to lean towards believing bone breaking shots are much faster killing than I have experienced with conventional bullets.

I do not get the idea that these bullets are any degree better than the other mono bullets we use or even bonded bullets - why?

We have to date shot Water Buck -cows and bulls, Kudu cows and bulls, Impala,Bush buck,Wart Hog, Bush Pig and Ostrich, 3/4/5 of each I would imagine.

2nd matter, is the mono 120 gr bullet not perhaps a bit light for what I am using it for ? The bullet choice was a team effort by respected GS members with Cody's age as first priority. It had to be flat shooting and of relatively low recoil.
    I am curious about this because perhaps it is partially the reason for some of my findings.

User

Default Re: Barnes TTSX - here I go again.

I have said this before. Often. There is no such thing as a perfect bullet. But. As an all-round hunting bullet the Barnes TSX/TTSX comes pretty damn close.

Banned

TStone, why - what do you find in it that beats a Nosler Partition, or a A Frame - Peregrine ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    TStone, why - what do you find in it that beats a Nosler Partition, or a A Frame - Peregrine ?
    The Peregrine I'll accept as an equal but the two lead cored bullets you mention, as good as they are for lead cored bullets, can't compete when it comes to busting heavy bone.
    And yes, if you wait for perfect broadside shots you would never have to shoot through heavy bone. Until you have to kill a wounded animal from an awkward angle.
    Again, there is no such thing as a perfect hunting bullet. Personally I prefer a hunting bullet that can handle any situation adequately to a bullet that can handle a perfect situation perfectly but fails when the going gets tough.