Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Dealer handling fees

Hi Guys,

I would like to know if Dealer handling fees are common practice in SA amongst arms dealers.

I visited an Arms dealer two weeks ago, "played" around with a couple of hand guns. The manger of the store told me that if a buy a gun and if my application for the license was unsuccessful even if all avenues were considered ( appeals , etc) i would have to pay a 20% handling fee if i wanted to cancel the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefronted View Post
    Hi Guys,

I would like to know if Dealer handling fees are common practice in SA amongst arms dealers.

I visited an Arms dealer two weeks ago, "played" around with a couple of hand guns. The manger of the store told me that if a buy a gun and if my application for the license was unsuccessful even if all avenues were considered ( appeals , etc) i would have to pay a 20% handling fee if i wanted to cancel the transaction.
    I'm curious, how much did that fee amount to?

User

Default Re: Dealer handling fees

Hi Guys,

I have never heard of that, but i do know of dealers that feel that you bought the firearm and if you can't get a license for whatever reason. That firearm is yours and if you no longer want it, then you must sell it on.

They will not refund you, plus after a certain time period or immediately after purchase, there will be storage fees incurred.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

So... buying guns is a special class of transaction in SA.

The moment you pay for the gun it becomes yours. You just can't take possession of it until your licence is approved and you have your card in hand.

You can, however, and whilst the gun in still in possession of the dealer, send the gun for gunsmithing/cerakoting, shoot it under the supervision of the dealer, etc, etc.

If your licensing attempt is unsuccessful this is not the dealer's problem and you can either sell the gun to someone else, or back to the dealer... who typically won't pay you more than what he can pay for a new gun from the wholesaler/importer.

Does this make sense?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Hi Guys,

It's common practice. But not really a handling fee.

The moment you buy the gun, the gun is yours. If you can't get a license, you can then sell it back to the dealer essentially, for 80% of what you paid for it. Unless you can find another buyer.

User

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If you choose to 'cancel the transaction' for whatever reason it shouldn't fall to the dealer to carry the can. I can't think of any other durable goods where a year or more after buying you could 'return' them for a full refund. It the case of a competency and license both being required it could be two years later. Getting an 80% refund seems pretty good to me actually.

User

The more I learn about the gun business in SA, the worse it seems to get.

User

If you have competency and there is no obvious reason why your app should be denied then can't see a problem.

User

There is always the option to buy somewhere else if you are not happy with the terms of that specific dealer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    So... buying guns is a special class of transaction in SA.

The moment you pay for the gun it becomes yours. You just can't take possession of it until your licence is approved and you have your card in hand.

You can, however, and whilst the gun in still in possession of the dealer, send the gun for gunsmithing/cerakoting, shoot it under the supervision of the dealer, etc, etc.

If your licensing attempt is unsuccessful this is not the dealer's problem and you can either sell the gun to someone else, or back to the dealer... who typically won't pay you more than what he can pay for a new gun from the wholesaler/importer.

Does this make sense?
    There is no way I am selling the one in your safe back to you although it has been so long now I will probably make a profit on it :)
    At least Kris and co have started the process of finding out WTF is wrong with the idiots at the CFR so hopefully it will not be that long now.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast