Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Dealer handling fees

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    On the other hand... I can get in my car with my short-barreled rifle, with silencer attached, fully loaded with 50 round PMAGS and travel across country, no special permissions, tax stamps, nothing.

Now you try do the same.
    Hell, mate, we can’t even do that with our own cash!

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

The dealer I buy most of my firearms from charge a "storage cost" from 6 months after buying till collection. That is the standard procedure. I have asked why? He explained that his storage space is full and one of the reasons being that there are a lot of buyers that buy but then have no intention of speeding up their applications. It happens that after a year or so he phone and ask what the problem might be and a lot of times then get the answer that "oh my, I have not applied for license yet." He has to keep his business profitable and need space for new stock.

I had licenses that took longer than six months and on collection we just sorted the "no payment" on them as he knows that I am a regular customer and apply asap after buying and that CFR take their time.

I guess there are other dealers in the same predicament. Need to put some sort of pressure on buyers to get their licensing sorted, but also don't want to be an ass towards good standing regular buyers.

Remember that your firearm at the dealer has costs for him to keep it and the licensing process are not the dealers' fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    The dealer I buy most of my firearms from charge a "storage cost" from 6 months after buying till collection. That is the standard procedure. I have asked why? He explained that his storage space is full and one of the reasons being that there are a lot of buyers that buy but then have no intention of speeding up their applications. It happens that after a year or so he phone and ask what the problem might be and a lot of times then get the answer that "oh my, I have not applied for license yet." He has to keep his business profitable and need space for new stock.

I had licenses that took longer than six months and on collection we just sorted the "no payment" on them as he knows that I am a regular customer and apply asap after buying and that CFR take their time.

I guess there are other dealers in the same predicament. Need to put some sort of pressure on buyers to get their licensing sorted, but also don't want to be an ass towards good standing regular buyers.

Remember that your firearm at the dealer has costs for him to keep it and the licensing process are not the dealers' fault.
    Yes licensing is not the dealers fault, however it is also not our fault if we bring our side.

I have an firearm bought at a big dealer in PTA, verbal agreement was no storage fees till license approved. Bought the rifle, paperwork comes for me to sign, storage fees after 6 months. Queried it, no its just a formality. Don’t worry.

License app was submitted on the day of receiving my paperwork from courier. Week later it was at provincial. Great work from our local DFO. Its now been at provincial for 90 working days!

If i have to pay storage fees from next month i will be pissed off!

User

I don't know what it costs to store an individual firearm but assume that it's more than I imagine based on the fact that nothing I estimate nowadays ends up being cheaper than I thought. Rental, statutory reporting, insurance blah blah. That has to add up fast and after you've bought it, it's dead stock to the guy who originally bought it and had it in stock so you could come by and buy it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    Wouldn’t it be easier and much faster to get a job working at CFR, use your position to expedite your application approval, then quit when you acquire your firearms?
    Now that’s what I consider working within the system.
    You would probably get the license long before you get a job there

The CFR is like the twilight zone.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

So... let me tell you about the hidden costs of storage...

Apart from the obvious space issue (with the concomitant requirement for security of the premises - alarms, physical security, etc) there is insurance payable on the total risk exposure. Then there's regular and sometimes painstaking DFO inspections at which each firearm has to be dug out, the box or bag or bubblewrap opened, the number inspected, and then repackaged and then returned. THIS is a huge PITA for the dealer. THEN there's the fights with the DFO/CFR about whether that particular firearm is actually on stock of not (because CFR's system has somehow lost the firearm). THEN there is the ongoing demands for gunsmith certificates because CFR has decided to change the caliber codes and/or they have deleted a manufacturer from the system and they fight for weeks about not being able to load the firearm onto the system.

The manufacturer situation is where I am sitting at present with two "Chicom" collector's guns that have existing licence cards in the name "Chicom". Apparently Chicom is no longer on the system... Trying to explain to CFR via our DFO that they are actually Norincos (although there are no Norinco names on the guns) is proving fruitless.

Should dealers NOT be compensated for the days and days of time and labour they spend on this?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    So... let me tell you about the hidden costs of storage...

Apart from the obvious space issue (with the concomitant requirement for security of the premises - alarms, physical security, etc) there is insurance payable on the total risk exposure. Then there's regular and sometimes painstaking DFO inspections at which each firearm has to be dug out, the box or bag or bubblewrap opened, the number inspected, and then repackaged and then returned. THIS is a huge PITA for the dealer. THEN there's the fights with the DFO/CFR about whether that particular firearm is actually on stock of not (because CFR's system has somehow lost the firearm). THEN there is the ongoing demands for gunsmith certificates because CFR has decided to change the caliber codes and/or they have deleted a manufacturer from the system and they fight for weeks about not being able to load the firearm onto the system.

The manufacturer situation is where I am sitting at present with two "Chicom" collector's guns that have existing licence cards in the name "Chicom". Apparently Chicom is no longer on the system... Trying to explain to CFR via our DFO that they are actually Norincos (although there are no Norinco names on the guns) is proving fruitless.

Should dealers NOT be compensated for the days and days of time and labour they spend on this?
    In addition to that the number of people who buy a firearm then FORGET about it or "can't find the time" to apply for it is a crazy. The dealer I do occasional work for has HUNDREDS of newly purchased firearms that have been in storage for over a year (in some cases 3 or more years). These customers then often cannot be contacted or traced. On more than one occasion the cost of storage will exceed the value of the firearm on collection. One of the reasons for "storage fees" is an incentive for the customer to actually apply for the licence in a reasonable space of time. So my employers T&C's state that you get 6 months free storage, on proof of application storage fees then lapse. If a licence is refused the customer must appeal the refusal.

If the firearm has not been shot the handling and restocking fee is 20%, if the firearm has been shot the handling and resale fee is 50%. We have a range on premises with loner guns so no one is "forced" to use their gun while in storage.

The application of the CFA is major PITA for dealers, a PITA that is compounded by negative consumer behaviour (not applying for licences, cheap/free and shitty motivations that earn a refusal etc) and it makes sustaining a business a real challenge.

User

That whole system surely encourages people not to use it. The black market gun business must be bloody booming over there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    That whole system surely encourages people not to use it. The black market gun business must be bloody booming over there.
    There has been a very marked decline in applications for firearm licenses by people under the age of 30 since the current fustercluck of a firearms control came in so it has definitely discouraged a bunch of people. Would be unsurprised to find that there are more elicit guns in SA than legal ones.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    There has been a very marked decline in applications for firearm licenses by people under the age of 30 since the current fustercluck of a firearms control came in so it has definitely discouraged a bunch of people. Would be unsurprised to find that there are more elicit guns in SA than legal ones.
    Spot on.

Gunpolicy.org from the Uni of S Ozzie estimates that there are up to 9M undocumented firearms in the country. Thanks to the FCA and the police's criminal incompetence and corruption they are totally out of control of firearms in SA.

In our estimation the FCA is driving the illicit trade in firearms.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast