Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem Baboons

User

Default Problem Baboons

Hi all

I've been asked by a friend to assist in sorting out some problem Baboons on his farm in WC. The group is getting to large and causing damage to his property, last two months +- R20k worth of damages.

Any permit or authorisation required before hunting the buggers ? Or is written permission from owner enough on black & white.

Kind regards
    S3

User

Default Re: Problem Baboons

I don't know about permits but a farmer told me once, never to shoot the alpha male because with him out of the picture all the other sub males start to breed and then there is a population explosion. To get them to leave you start to shoot the pregnant females and babies and that causes them to get "out of dodge".

User

Appreciate the advice, was thinking the same. It would merely be to bring the numbers down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I don't know about permits but a farmer told me once, never to shoot the alpha male because with him out of the picture all the other sub males start to breed and then there is a population explosion. To get them to leave you start to shoot the pregnant females and babies and that causes them to get "out of dodge".

User

Written permission and valid WC hunting licence. No seasons for baboons, bag limit of one.

If you want/need to shoot more, you will have to apply for a problem animal control permit from Cape Nature.

Shout if you need a couple of extra hunters!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Thank you, I'll start reading up on that permit via Cape Nature today.

Somewhat excited, will be my first baboon hunt :) strangely more excited than my first koedoe hunt lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Written permission and valid WC hunting licence. No seasons for baboons, bag limit of one.

If you want/need to shoot more, you will have to apply for a problem animal control permit from Cape Nature.

User

Quote Originally Posted by s3renity View Post
    Thank you, I'll start reading up on that permit via Cape Nature today.

Somewhat excited, will be my first baboon hunt :) strangely more excited than my first koedoe hunt lol.
    https://www.capenature.co.za/permits/hunting-permits

Probably submit application for damage causing animals

User

Baboons got exceptionally good eyesight. In 30 years that my Father have a Mountain Farm, we never managed to get closer then 200 meters to the baboons. The Sentinel baboon is usually the best one to shoot, as every one scatter after that.

The only difference between a baboon and an EFF supporter is that the baboon does not walk after dark. We had baboons destroy a caravan, pull all the wiring from a tractor, pulled thatching from a roof and of course shit over everything.

Last round they managed to break into a stoor room and decided to eat Ureum containing fertiliser. Found about ten dead. Now we do not have a baboon infestation anymore.

In terms of long term control having a healthy population of Leopards around is the only natural way of containing the problem.

User

The farmer has been following them with a drone late day so he has a good idea where they go at night time. Thinking that setting up in that general area might work out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Baboons got exceptionally good eyesight. In 30 years that my Father have a Mountain Farm, we never managed to get closer then 200 meters to the baboons. The Sentinel baboon is usually the best one to shoot, as every one scatter after that.

The only difference between a baboon and an EFF supporter is that the baboon does not walk after dark. We had baboons destroy a caravan, pull all the wiring from a tractor, pulled thatching from a roof and of course shit over everything.

Last round they managed to break into a stoor room and decided to eat Ureum containing fertiliser. Found about ten dead. Now we do not have a baboon infestation anymore.

In terms of long term control having a healthy population of Leopards around is the only natural way of containing the problem.

User

My uncle had a farm near Magaliesburg. Baboons caused shit there pretty much whenever the place was unoccupied which was a lot. His solution was to paint red marks on tress forming a perimeter. If there was sign of baboons inside of that he would set up a hide on the flat roof of the house behind a parapet wall and shoot the first one that came in. This would keep them out for a while. No idea if the perimeter indicator made any difference or if it was just that one got shot from time to time.

Banned

I once read a story about a group of farmers who ambushed the baboons at their sleeping place just before dawn. Maybe that can help?

Or get them in a crossfire on their way to the feeding area?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast