Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem Baboons

User

Default Re: Problem Baboons

Don't worry about the permit. A bag limit of one is sufficient. Once you shoot one, the rest will scatter so fast that you will never got a shot at another. The only guy I know who gets more than one, is a guy who can drop a running baboon at 500m, but he's a cross between Rambo and a cyborg.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Just be aware that the biltong will probably not come out the same.
    Springbok, Blesbok, Waterbok, Sitbok..

Biltong from the 3 formers are in many a drying room, the latter... No thanks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Don't worry about the permit. A bag limit of one is sufficient. Once you shoot one, the rest will scatter so fast that you will never got a shot at another. The only guy I know who gets more than one, is a guy who can drop a running baboon at 500m, but he's a cross between Rambo and a cyborg.
    Watch Impact Shooting on Youtube, one of his earlier videos.
    Piet takes out 3 in the Cape winelands.

Banned

No matter what they do, shooting the primates always saddens me tremendously. I head out with big plans and extra ammo and a short while later the feeling of "this is not right".

Every time.

I just can not disassociate myself enough.

User

Are dogs on patrol not sufficient enough deterrent? Or will they mob the dogs?

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    I have friends in the mountains outside of Plettenberg Bay in our Western Cape province who have lost multiple dogs to the baboons there. They have literally been torn apart. There may of course be big dogs who know how to deal with baboons but they are formidable creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I have friends in the mountains outside of Plettenberg Bay in our Western Cape province who have lost multiple dogs to the baboons there. They have literally been torn apart. There may of course be big dogs who know how to deal with baboons but they are formidable creatures.
    Vests for the dogs are a must IMO like they have when hunting pigs. They protect the dogs from those long baboon fangs.

User

Loudspeakers around the perimeter with high-dB gain triggered by motion sensors playing something godawful that baboons wouldn’t even tolerate it?
    My god, what does it take, men?

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    We had a lot of big dogs on the farm. Inside the security fence where they used to be let off at night - occasionally we would find one or two dead dogs in the morning after baboons had got inside the perimeter. Baboons are formidable - more than one are far more formidable. Vests will be useless. Keep dogs, especially small ones, away from baboons, they're far smarter and far more dangerous than dogs.

User

Most farmers in the E.C use those massive cage traps. Only thing that works in numbers.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast