Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem Baboons

User

Default Re: Problem Baboons

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    No matter what they do, shooting the primates always saddens me tremendously. I head out with big plans and extra ammo and a short while later the feeling of "this is not right".

Every time.

I just can not disassociate myself enough.
    This. After my fair share of baboon hunting in my teens and early 20s I just cannot do it anymore. Tried again in the beginning of the year after being convinced to come and help. When it came to trigger time I just packed up and left. These days when asked to come help out I just say no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Been away from this threat for some time. Where out fixing fences for the baboons...

Yes, they do make all sorts of plans to get over electric fences. I just keep on closing the gaps and ways. They eventually stop trying to come there as a feeding ground, but will send scouts every 3-4 days to check the electricity still working. We use serious energizers! I have witnessed baboons throwing little ones over the fence to go and fetch mealies and throw it back through the fence. The idea of a fence for me is not to be 100 % baboon proof at all times. Once in a while a few do get over or under, but the troop of 200-250 I have currently in the area cannot all get in and out quickly and cause mayhem. A few get in once in a while, I see how and where and close it and that is control in my book.

Those big cages also work, but getting them "relocated" are not a job for the faint hearted and in any case why would I want to kill them? As long as they stay in the mountains and fields and don't damage my crops or raid storerooms they are can have a happy life.

Problem animal control says it all. Control the damage made by problem animals. My fencing is perfect for that.

Regarding dogs - No, never ever feed a dog to baboon. 2 things in life will kill dogs with better efficiency than dogs can kill them; that would be baboons and Black Mambas
    Do the dogs attack the Black Mamba or vice versa ?

User

A farmer friend got this baboon today.
    They have been after him for 3 weeks now. He would rip apart lambs, drink the milk from their stomachs, then eat 90% of the lamb.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Some years back toddlers living near the dump in Kleinmond started to go missing. Turned out a male baboon was catching, killing and eating them.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    This. After my fair share of baboon hunting in my teens and early 20s I just cannot do it anymore. Tried again in the beginning of the year after being convinced to come and help. When it came to trigger time I just packed up and left. These days when asked to come help out I just say no thank you.
    The only episode of MeatEater that haunted me was in Bolivia when they killed and ate a monkey. Even Steve was shaken and he has eaten coyote and puma.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Some years back toddlers living near the dump in Kleinmond started to go missing. Turned out a male baboon was catching, killing and eating them.
    When was this? I have never heard of this.

Do you have any references please?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by mtaute View Post

About 15yrs or so back
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mottobaaj View Post
    The only episode of MeatEater that haunted me was in Bolivia when they killed and ate a monkey. Even Steve was shaken and he has eaten coyote and puma.
    Around Limpopo there are many people who regard monkey and baboon as a delicacy. Helps to clean up the carcasses...

Banned

User

Quote Originally Posted by mtaute View Post

This would have been front page news if true, not a likely story.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast