Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: Need help pricing a hunt I have been tasked with.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post
    Treeman, I think you need to be careful of the type of hunter you take. M
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear you Woodsie, but not so concerned as, well I am like I am and there will be no mistaking by the hunter of whats what, my spade is called a spade quiet clearly.

The spot is much like you describe actually, any part of the hunt is less than a hour from the farm building where there is running water hanging etc, even a room (old diary room) which we use as a cool room. The camp site is just a hollow under trees, but we take tables and water drums.
    The hunt is pretty much on any hike tenting level with hunt thrown in.
    I do hear and appreciate - I am needing to hear a lot, rather new to charging people.

User

Default Need help pricing a hunt I have been tasked with.

Treeman, I see you’ve got some good advice from those who know. My friend over there in Durban said he is familiar with the area but couldn’t begin to guess your rates, & says your structure as you have it seems reasonable. He also mentioned choosing the client carefully.
    Sorry, boys, I am just too eager for this type of hunting. Your lifestyle keeps you fit, whereas I would have to train for two months before even booking! How old is too old for clients? I am 51. How much kit does one have to carry on one’s back for a hunt/stalk such as treeman’s? I saw the thread on what different people carry in their packs. Would some or all of those be provided for fly-in clients, or do we bring it with us?

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    Treeman, I see you’ve got some good advice from those who know. My friend over there in Durban said he is familiar with the area but couldn’t begin to guess your rates, & says your structure as you have it seems reasonable. He also mentioned choosing the client carefully.
    Sorry, boys, I am just too eager for this type of hunting. Your lifestyle keeps you fit, whereas I would have to train for two months before even booking! How old is too old for clients? I am 51. How much kit does one have to carry on one’s back for a hunt/stalk such as treeman’s? I saw the thread on what different people carry in their packs. Would some or all of those be provided for fly-in clients, or do we bring it with us?
    I suspect the bakkies will do most of the lifting work. But one will have to walk when hunting, and the terrain could be a killer. Add to this managing a carcass in the veld can make for a substantial workout.

As has been mentioned before. The best place to shoot a big buck is not, just behind the shoulder, it is actually next to the road.

I think treeman would be pretty efficient in the whole process.

Banned

dammitgriff - I am 53, I am sure you will survive. This farm is a particularly easy farm to be on if you do not mind sleeping on ground etc, relatively level, undulating enough to be not flat ground and bushed enough to make "over there" new and unseen. The Ciskei type of terrain allows for a few good look over area vantage spots with out having to climb mountains. The farm has enough road paths to make almost any where within a half hour walk from where you were to where a vehicle can be got.

Depending on what one needs you can with as little as your bedding to everything you want. I have provided from nothing to everything for the youngsters that come along.

Anything can be arranged, keeping in mind that you are buying a hunt not a accommodation experience.
    We there to hunt and thrill, sleep sometimes where hunt ends if you want.

Myself and the lighties do the hard work.

User

I would if I could, believe me. The environment will take a toll but I’m not a tie-wearer, never have been. It’s been far too long though, and I need to get back in the field here…family and work obligations have me chained up with the city life, I hate it. Every time I make a go and start really getting back into it, some damn thing or another interrupts my routine and it’s months before I get my kit together again for another go.
    Another rather pertinent issue is being barred from flying anywhere commercial without proof of vaccination…it’s just too far to swim there, maybe a stint in the merchant marine fleet…?

User

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post
    Treeman, I think you need to be careful of the type of hunter you take. Most guys are keen for rustic but their attitude often changes quickly, when they paying and are having to do all the hard labour.
    Different people have different ideas of rustic/roughing it. For some a 4 star lodge is regarded as roughing it.

We do a “rustic” camping hunt once or twice a year on a farm that has no house. We walk and stalk, no staff, retrieve ourselves, work clean and process animals, etc. but there are more than adequate facilities for hanging, gutting, skinning, cleaning with running water. Also no cold facilities but a place to hang animals away from predators and flies.
    The same goes for the “camp site” - we sleep in tents or under the stars but there is a single tap and a flat brick braai under some trees, so that you are not always working on the ground.

Until he has managed to invest (time or money) in his venture or built some basic processing facilities, he may need to sell an adventure or an experience rather than a hunt.

Exactly how a HUNT should be, with one hunt a few years ago we walked almost 40km in total over the weekend ...shooting from a bakkie or from a chair from the back of a bakkie isn't HUNTING, chasing down an animal with a vehicle till the animal is tired and then shoot it....is not hunting....I think alot of people forgot how to really hunt and how it feels to hunt....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Karoobow View Post
    Exactly how a HUNT should be, with one hunt a few years ago we walked almost 40km in total over the weekend ...shooting from a bakkie or from a chair from the back of a bakkie isn't HUNTING, chasing down an animal with a vehicle till the animal is tired and then shoot it....is not hunting....I think alot of people forgot how to really hunt and how it feels to hunt....

Shooting from the back of a bakkie and drinking yourself stupid afterwards seems to be the way now
    Swamp buggies…we got ‘em!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Karoobow View Post
    We average from what can be gleaned from those watch's and cell app things 23-26 km walking distance arrive Friday to leave farm Sunday.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Treeman, the price of R 8000 would be acceptable to myself. As stated, and as replied by yourself - Make sure of the hunter. A "commercial hunting in a corporate group is all the experience I have" type of hunter will not be happy. He must know beforehand that if he wats to "jag, moet jy kan slag" (If you want to hunt, you must be able to slaughter, meaning you must be willing to do more work than just pull a trigger.)

Fitness of a hunter in my book are in any case his/her problem. If you cannot walk, the book yourself a "bakkie shoot in the flats" or a voorsit hunt where it can be done.

Waterbuck bulls in our area go for R 4500 - 8000 between different farms and then day fees of R 250 - ? (sky is the limit) plus vehicle and tracker fees also add up. Bushpig can be found "just for the heck of it" to R 3000 for serious hunters really looking for the opportunity to hunt them.

With your vehicle being used, yourself and probably Cody and the farmers son helping with loading and slaughtering and the "event" of sharing time with a "spade caller" you might add a few rands....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2