Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Point of impact after shortening the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    If the reamer was at its end, the chamber would be on the smaller side. If your chamber is at the max then it was probably a brand new reamer.
    In this context, it means the extreme end of tolerance. That is: the smallest chamber was the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    In this context, it means the extreme end of tolerance. That is: the smallest chamber was the end result.
    I’m reading like a retard. Thanks for the correction. I see that that is also what Treeman said.

Banned

I found some 2014 ammo that fitted chamber, the rifle shoots 28 inch's high and 24 inch's to right at old scope settings.

That is much more than I expected. Could it be that either the first chamber or the new one is at slightly different angle to the barrel, or is it all related to the new barrel length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Yes much more than I would believe possible, not even on the A4 page. I think that even though the Ruger scope mounts are the dead set type that fit male female and should be same after removing and refitting, something moved.

Banned

Those differences sound extreme. Will you be able to adjust those out with the scope? Maybe you should take it up with the gunsmith. Your action should have stayed the same and if the barrel is correctly aligned with it this should not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I found some 2014 ammo that fitted chamber, the rifle shoots 28 inch's high and 24 inch's to right at old scope settings.
    Bliksem! No treeman, something is wrong. 28 inches is like 70cm, i am presuming it’s at 100m. Your scope probably can’t even correct that? I don’t know, something is amiss

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Yes much more than I would believe possible, not even on the A4 page. I think that even though the Ruger scope mounts are the dead set type that fit male female and should be same after removing and refitting, something moved.
    I would presume the barrel stub was cut off, and a new one was cut and threaded. So the interface between barrel and action is totally new. Lots of new mating surfaces that determine alignment.

A re-chambering job is also the perfect opportunity to re-crown the barrel. Hope this was also done?

Banned

No the initial testing was at 50 m - was like 34 clicks to find target stand. I am hoping I was originally set far to one side for old chamber.
    I have taken scope off cleaned and set all to mid way neutral. All way one direction all way back and then half way stop.

Today.
    I started at 30 cm odd up and to the right and quickly got it spot on at 100 m - so solved it seems. I also ran out of cartridges. I will go back and set it correctly for hunting next and check grouping using the new full sized cases and a old known to work load.

I think the scope was moving - I honestly believe that to be the case.

Banned

I returned to range yesterday with rifle reassembled to my satisfaction. The wind was so strong that shooting was actually almost pointless - your body was rocking even at the bench.
    Two shots, first 130 gr 3" high 1 " to right. Second shot 1.5" high and 1 inch to right, thereafter 2 shots for group and final adjust for left right. Can see the two shots left of up line at 2 inch's.

R/side page next - 150 gr. 2 shots at 2" high and just off center up line to right - no adjustment made.

Next was the GS Customs and they shot 3.5 " high on the center line.

I now have a base line to work from and will set rifle in for the 150 gr bullets as I only have 150 of them left.
    Bringing the 150 gr down to 1" high at 100 m will give me GS Customs that are two inch's high at 100 m 2.5 " at about 150 m and 0.5 " high at 200 m ********** I will how ever set the rifle in 8 clicks down for the GS Customs when I hunt Reebuck or some long range game, I only have 17 GS Customs left.

So to sum it up, the rifle shot quiet far off after re-chambering it, the grouping stayed pretty much the same for 3 different loads and bullet weights.

Thank you for inputs from the various parties.

Please excuse the scribble, was writing on a target stuck in ground with hand behind board to press on. The wind, the wind was unbelievable, felt bad closing my bolt in that dust bowl.
    20211010_223837 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4