Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: 2021/2022 French Hunting season

Thanks Metho, good luck tomorrow! Lovely scenery!

Banned

I think you must really know your shooting to get anywhere in that terrain - LIKE REALLY>
    I look at the stuff you send me and seriously doubt my ability to do so.

User

Treeman. The shot I took here was just in front of the big rock in front of me. No other people were visible, except one. Very far to the left and out of the 30 degree angle. Like in 3 km away. Shot was downwards and with a huge backstop. I'll take that shot 100 times out of a 100.

Sent from my STK-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Treeman. The shot I took here was just in front of the big rock in front of me. No other people were visible, except one. Very far to the left and out of the 30 degree angle. Like in 3 km away. Shot was downwards and with a huge backstop. I'll take that shot 100 times out of a 100.

I do not think you read my message on level it was sent.
    That kind of shooting over valleys between trees bush,s up hill, down hill while running at 30 degree angle NFW bro it must be stressful and trying. Add that you likely get one chance to get it right.
    Where is the study animal, choose your shot, consider entrance - exit, lay on and enjoy the art of placing a perfect shot. That stuff you doing will cause me to fret and worry, stress and what if I miss right into getting all worked and not able to shoot top level.
    The photo's you send me just seem to indicate really hard to get a shot conditions and I indicated I doubted my ability to do so successfully at this time, level of my abilities.

User

I understand mate. It is difficult. To get the perfect shot is hard and that is why I didn't shoot at a whole bunch of boars this year. Too far, not right angle, people behind etc.

But you do your preparation right beforehand. When you get to your post you mark out your 30 degree angles with little flags before the hunt starts or when you get moved during the hunt. You don't move from you spot. I have a telemeter and measure out the biggest landmarks after I loaded my rifle. You check the most open areas, game trials and imagine where a boar might be coming from.

Most of the time in our area people are posted so that they are either hidden by a mountain or in plain view. When a boar does come you do have very little time to shoot. A quote I heard about war was "99% waiting and 1 percent terror" more or less the same thing about driven hunts.

Sometimes if you are lucky you get to see the animal come from far away and other times the just jump out from nowhere. A thing to remember is you can never regret a shot that you didn't take. Of course sometimes you tell yourself afterwards that the shot would have been good but better to be safe than to be sorry.

As for the satisfaction . It is a pretty great feeling dropping a boar with the first shot while it is running is pretty hard to beat. The adrenaline is like nothing else I've ever experienced. The transition from looking around, bit bored, and hearing a branch crack, a rock roll or the dogs starting to go mad is something else.

When covid is over get yourself over here and I'll try yo organise a hunt for you!

User

Methos—that peek-a-boo terrain looks like prime 12 gauge buckshot territory. It’s beautiful there.
    Make mine an old-school Browning Auto-5 with the bloody plug removed and jam-full of 000 buckshot.
    I do agree with you about pulling anything back to your truck…I’m getting too old for it and the drag distance is now part of my decision-making process before I set up or pull the trigger. I worry I’ve gone soft!

User

This is the spot being hunted today. Very thick brush. If something crosses the road it will be at full speed and no warning. This is the most difficult shooting... And can only shoot 25 m max! Have to wait for 30 degree angle.

Griff. Buckshot is not allowed in our department

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    This is the spot being hunted today. Very thick brush. If something crosses the road it will be at full speed and no warning. This is the most difficult shooting... And can only shoot 25 m max! Have to wait for 30 degree angle.

Griff. Buckshot is not allowed in our department

Now this I could do, not that mountain stuff.

What breed of dogs do you use ? Maybe post some pics ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    What breed of dogs do you use ? Maybe post some pics ?
    A lot of types of dogs are used. In these mountains running dogs are mostly used. Bruno de Jura, beagles and other running dogs. Steekbaard brakke and other that I don't even know the type of. Also korthals from what I remember. Will try and take some pics next hunt. Next hunt is Sunday 2 Jan, will check with the missus if I can go.

In smaller areas that are forested as well shorter legged dogs are used. Like teckel, fox terriers etc. Push the game slower so they run slower, more time for a shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast