User

Default Hollow stock QD sling swivel socket

While setting up a semi auto shotgun for potential social use I ran into a problem sourcing the hollow stock QD sockets that I've used previously. There were none available locally and buying from foreign sellers made it too slow and expensive for someone with arms as short as mine to stomach easily. There are a few manufacturers but the Grovtec ones below are what I had used before.

Gave it a think and decided that some Tafel Lager and workshop time would sort me out. Dug out a standard glue and screw in QD cup intended for installation in wooden stocks, an M16 bolt, M16 nut and a six pack to the workshop and got stuck in. First I ground the bolt head round and reduced it in thickness to 3mm or so. Then I drilled a blind 12.5mm hole through the centre of the head to just longer than the body of the QD cup. Opened that up carefully with some 320 paper in a slot in a dowel until the base of the QD cup would just start in the hole. Degreased the cup and and the bolt and then pressed the cup into the hole till its mouth was flush with the head. Drilled through the screw hole in the base of the cup, tapped it M5 and screwed in a countersunk machine screw to secure the cup. Thereafter I cleaned everything up and cold blued the modified bolt.

Waited till the next day to allow the Tafels to fade and then drilled and installed in the stock.

It's functionally identical to the ones I'd bought before but at R0 outlay I was pretty chuffed with the result.

User

Default Re: Hollow stock QD sling swivel socket

Thinking man's beer

User

That is some nice work .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by BradTH View Post
    That is some nice work .........
    I'll second that!!! Especially considering you pulled this off in one attempt!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Thinking man's beer

It must be the Tafel Lager, it also brings out the best in me. This looks like a splendid idea and splendidly executed.

User

Thanks for the comments. Yip Tafel makes me a better person. It has also played a part in making me a person with one slightly short thumb ;-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Yip Tafel makes me a better person. It has also played a part in making me a person with one slightly short thumb ;-)
    Oops, elke sport het sy beserings.