Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Shooting the Colt .45 , Mk4 Model 70 Government model

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    There are 2 common ways of improving the front sight:

1. Just add a dab of bright nail polish to the front sight. I like dayglo orange, but some others may work too. Quick, cheap and easily reversible.
    2. Add a Fibre Optic rod to the front sight. This may involve some intricate machining, so think about it for a while. My favourite FO colour is green at present. 1,5mm (0.060") diameter rods give me good results.

I like the rear sight pitch black.

Unless you plan to use the pistol in some game that forbids the comp, don't remove it.
    I did coat the front sight post with tipex , man , it worked just great.,It enabled me to shoot tight groups at 20 meters .

User

There is a lot of surface on the front post , it will be easy to mill and insert a thick 1mm orange color Fiber optic rod into the front sight post..

a 1mm diameter fibre optic rod will fit nice into the top part of the front post ,
    9c662758-e955-4c59-b103-6dc6411c1437.jpg

or I can mill a 1mm groove to glue the rod into it /or drill a 1mm hole right through the front post..either way is easy to do on the milling machine

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    There is a lot of surface on the front post , it will be easy to mill and insert a thick 1mm orange color Fiber optic rod into the front sight post..

a 1mm diameter fibre optic rod will fit nice into the top part of the front post ,

or I can mill a 1mm groove to glue the rod into it /or drill a 1mm hole right through the front post..either way is easy to do on the milling machine
    Ideally you want a bit of the rod exposed all round to catch as much light as possible. I'd drill for the rod first and then mill out a saddle the goes through it but leaves a bit of the groove at the bottom so it has a bit of support. A very small chamfer or even better, a slight counter bore on the face of the sight makes it easier to get a precisely round dot when you melt it in place.

User

Thank you kindly, I will do just that

User

If the comp cam be removed from the barrel, it would be easy to drill a hole from the back.

If you need to drill from the front, it may be a little more complicated to get it going straight. You want the drill to exit at the perfect spot, evenly spaced on 3 sides...

As said before, drill first, then file the "saddle" to expose the middle of the fibre rod to the light.

I find a 1,5mm fibre rod to work much better than a 1mm. I have 2 handguns still using 1mm and a few with 1,5mm. Going to enlarge the 1mm sights to 1,5mm some day.

1,5mm is also easier to drill.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I find a 1,5mm fibre rod to work much better than a 1mm. I have 2 handguns still using 1mm and a few with 1,5mm. Going to enlarge the 1mm sights to 1,5mm some day.

1,5mm is also easier to drill.
    What worked for me before was to drill the face 1,5mm and the rest of the bore 1mm. When you melt the rod you then get a perfectly circular and slightly recessed dot of 1.5mm. You can do it with a countersink/chamfer but it isn't as perfectly round.

User

Good, members, I got hold of two 1.5mm fibre optic rods , green and red one. This Saturday I will be spending time ,milling/drilling the front post sight on the Colt .45 ACP....I filled seven magazines already and have a lot of loaded rounds in reserve..as well as a lot of de-primed brass ready for reloading .....still it seems to me it is not enough

Will upload a few photos as usually.. here are a few photos of my reloading for this great piece of steel...

User

Good, members, I got hold of two 1.5mm fibre optic rods , green and red one. This Saturday I will be spending time ,milling/drilling the front post sight on the Colt .45 ACP....I filled seven magazines already and have a lot of loaded rounds in reserve..as well as a lot of de-primed brass ready for reloading .....still it seems to me it is not enough

Will upload a few photos as usually.. here are a few photos of my reloading for this great piece of steel...

I do not see any Liquid Alox lube on the bullets in the pic, but the bottle suggests that is what you used.

When using the Liquid Alox (tumble lube) method, it is better to pack the ammo into the MTM ammo boxes or similar. If you just throw them into the sandwich box, the lube on the bullets will rub off on the cases and cause them to be sticky, resulting in jams.

The Liquid Alox works much better when mixed 50/50 with Cobra floor polish and thinned with Turpentine. (Slightly dangerous process as all 3 are quite volatile and they need to be heated.) The result is less sticky and works better. There must be an old thread on the subject here on GS. I have abandoned the wax lube and changed to powder coating. No sticky mess and much less smoke.

User

A-R, thank you for this information, I will use the mix you described. I am looking at the powder coat option as well but I want to get to know as many methods of bullet care /preparation as possible..I really like the casting process as well

User

A-R, thank you for this information, I will use the mix you described. I am looking at the powder coat option as well but I want to get to know as many methods of bullet care /preparation as possible..I really like the casting process as well
    Me too! I find casting to be incredibly relaxing. It's as close as I can imagine to having nothing going on in my head at all. A whole afternoon just slips away and there's a big pile of bullets or slugs left behind. Powder coating is well worth a look, you probably have much if not all of what you'd need to do it already.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast