Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Shooting the Colt .45 , Mk4 Model 70 Government model

I took the Colt to the shooting range today, what a pleasure to shoot it. A few photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Shooting the Colt .45 , Mk4 Model 70 Government model

Alice shooting:
    Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 25-09-2021 at 23:22. Reason: Video add

User

[ [/video][/video]

User

Members, I would like to hear from you in regards to replacing the front post with a new version that is more visible to see if fast target acquisition is needed , shooting competitions on moving targets as well???

User

That's 1 beautiful chunk of steel

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post

Members, I would like to hear from you in regards to replacing the front post with a new version that is more visible to see if fast target acquisition is needed , shooting competitions on moving targets as well???
    Gert- the compensator will put you in Open Class in IPSC (Used to be called Combat shooting). This will seriously put you at a disadvantage with a single-stack eight shot magazines and no Optic sight.
    Enjoy it for what it is- a remnant of 1970-1990 Open Class IPSC Pistol shooting. You ain't going to get provincial colours with it, but you might have a lot of fun with it.
    PS- If you really want to see the front sight quicker- paint it with bright red nail polish.

User

Best way to "replace" the sight would be to mill the sight off the comp and either mill a Novak cut dovetail as it is the most popular sight cut for a 1911 currently.

Personally the way I would do it would be to remove the comp, mill out the remnants of the old tenon front sight and cut a Novak Dovetail. The rear depending on use, would be a Bomar cut rear sight, but a Novak rear cut is also good and more common with defensive type 1911 / 2011's.

User

There are 2 common ways of improving the front sight:

1. Just add a dab of bright nail polish to the front sight. I like dayglo orange, but some others may work too. Quick, cheap and easily reversible.
    2. Add a Fibre Optic rod to the front sight. This may involve some intricate machining, so think about it for a while. My favourite FO colour is green at present. 1,5mm (0.060") diameter rods give me good results.

I like the rear sight pitch black.

Unless you plan to use the pistol in some game that forbids the comp, don't remove it.

User

Members, thank you kindly for your great input, it is much appreciated. My apologies for this late reply , I am currently working on a few projects and do not always get to go through the posts..thank you again members, it really is great to always get feedback and opinions from every member who makes time for me to answer my questions..

Finkelstein, yes, I am not a competitive person, so I will shoot this old beautiful pistol for the fun of it as I am doing with all my rifles...
    Nail polish it will be, I do not think it is necessary to alter this pistol mechanically since I am shooting it accurately.

I just need time to take it to the range shooting days and enjoy it, I already sourced three extra magazines, so I will be able to deliver a volley in the direction of any unwelcome suspect that might be a danger to my existence ...this will make up for my lack of accuracy

User

Members, some feedback, I took the Colt to the shooting range shoot about fifty rounds at a target 20m .
    This is a great soft shooting pistol...extremely accurate and I am not even a good shooter at all...

I love this great heavy Colt .45 ACP ..I now know my yearn to own such a heavy piece of steel is vindicated for sure...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast