Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Should I be concerned - Need advice please

Hi all,

Apologies for the long story
    I need some advice and guidance please, Saturday went to go shoot some rounds off at the range, bought some punisher reloads all went well up to the last couple of rounds, had a fail to fire and on trying to eject I could not get the slide to move back at all, long story short range master then said the only way was to take a wooden piece and hit the front of the pistol on the block of wood until it would allowed the slide to move back, eventually it did, round was removed, continued afterward firing the rest of the rounds off that was left without any further issues. My concern is now that I cleaned my pistol today and noticed the following it seems that on the barrel the piece shown in the picture got damaged either by the force of what happened or trying to get the round out. Should I have a gunsmith look into this for me or will it be ok? Thanks in advance for all the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Should I be concerned - Need advice please

Take to a gunsmith. I suspect it can be smoothed out and polished.

Be careful what you feed your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by DJac View Post
    Hi all,

Apologies for the long story
    I need some advice and guidance please, Saturday went to go shoot some rounds off at the range, bought some punisher reloads all went well up to the last couple of rounds, had a fail to fire and on trying to eject I could not get the slide to move back at all, long story short range master then said the only way was to take a wooden piece and hit the front of the pistol on the block of wood until it would allowed the slide to move back, eventually it did, round was removed, continued afterward firing the rest of the rounds off that was left without any further issues. My concern is now that I cleaned my pistol today and noticed the following it seems that on the barrel the piece shown in the picture got damaged either by the force of what happened or trying to get the round out. Should I have a gunsmith look into this for me or will it be ok? Thanks in advance for all the help
    Those punisher reloads are garbage. Give the rest away and buy better ammo. There is a reason why it's so cheap. That round was not resized properly so it could not be extracted. The correct way to clear it is to grip the over the top of the slide with your weak hand and then use your strong hand to strike the grip of the pistol in a effort to rip that round out.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    Those punisher reloads are garbage. Give the rest away and buy better ammo. There is a reason why it's so cheap. That round was not resized properly so it could not be extracted. The correct way to clear it is to grip the over the top of the slide with your weak hand and then use your strong hand to strike the grip of the pistol in a effort to rip that round out.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I would not advise giving them away.
    I don’t know these reloads but would suggest if they crap to pull the bullets and keep the doppie for when you reload one day. Re-size the doppie properly and load away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

If you have a Lee Factory Crimp die, you could run them all through that. Then do a plunk test to make sure that they all fit the chamber

User

Looks like you are shooting a Glock?

Glocks are known for their rather tight right-on-spec chambers. Any slightly oversized round might not chamber. If you insist on using reloads (from any source - even your own) then I would suggest you invest in a case guage to test each and every round that goes through the gun. It's not the gun. It's the ammo. You can also use your barrel to test it with by removing it from the slide and performing a "plunk test" as suggested by janfred.

As to your original question, I would not be too worried. If the gun still feeds ammo reliably then just use it as is.

Below is a round in a Lyman case gauge which PASS.

Here is a round that fails (just slightly oversize. This one might actually work in the Glock)

Here is the one you must look out for. This one WILL NOT chamber in your Glock (and most other brands, except maybe CZ which are known for loose chambers)

GEEZ!!!! Hitting it with wood to move slide. You should beat that Range Master with the piece of wood. Thats the worst to do.

Hold the pistol in safe direction which is a given. But kinda sideways.

What you do is not try and pull the slide like your cocking it.

You grip the slide tight with your weaker hand. Get as much grip on slide as possible while holding pistol side way. Then take your strong hand and open it.

You move strong hand back and then fast forward onto the back of the grip hitting the frame forward while holding the slide tight. That will give alot of force into firearm and remove stuck case or round from chamber.

Hitting it with something is the Dumbest idea ever.

If a Bullet is stuck halfway down barrel you use a pices of brass rod stick it in and hit the rod. But never the firearm.

I have used a wooden dowel in a similar situation. Pushed the dowel up against a wooden post at the range pointing in a safe direction. When it is properly stuck I cannot move it with hands alone.

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    I have used a wooden dowel in a similar situation. Pushed the dowel up against a wooden post at the range pointing in a safe direction. When it is properly stuck I cannot move it with hands alone.
    Note that your method is sound pushing the dowel.

He was advised to hit the front with a piece of wood. That makes no sense. And caused the damage.

User

Thanks for all the replies all, had the CS at a gunsmith quick all is fine thank goodness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast