Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Newbie from Kraaibakistan

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    Go to this page and type in your street address to see which police station you fall under: https://www.crimestatssa.com/
    Nifty! Thanks BBCT

Well, that was because he did as he was told by his instructor...... ;-)
    All I kept thinking about was aligning front and rear sights with the target. After the 4th shot (the one that's way off) I remembered that I needed to breathe

Quote Originally Posted by th3wall27 View Post
    Howzit bud

Fellow kraaier here.
    Welcome to the gun family. You fall under the kraaifontein station. Very nice DFO's there. You unfortunately cannot do your app at the other stations even though it is much closer.
    Thanks neighbour!

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    A long drive to a helpful and competent DFO is way better than popping round the corner to deal with a pappa oscar echo sierra.
    Very true. I've read good things here and on the Facebook groups about the Kraaifontein DFO's so I'll have a go at it there.

User

User

Welcome to the world of firearms and shooting. Enjoy every second of it.

User

Greetings Viper1350, so have you decided on which firearm you getting ?

Quote Originally Posted by da_panman View Post
    Welcome to the world of firearms and shooting. Enjoy every second of it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    Greetings Viper1350, so have you decided on which firearm you getting ?
    Oooooo now we're talking!

I really like the Glock 43x, but after much reading it seems that the Glock 48 will be a better choice. But, after much more reading, the Glock 19 Gen 5 might be the one to go for.

I'll be licensing this FA under S13 and it'll be my CCW (I've learnt some of the abbreviations ) every day during the week and only when I leave the house on weekends. Since concealment is going to be important at work, I'm thinking the G48 might be better since its narrower, but I'm not sure if the 6mm narrower grip is worth the reduced carrying capacity compared to the G19.

I am planning on doing some casual shooting at the range and would like to do some more tactical activities there, but private defence is still the main focus here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1350 View Post
    Thanks!

I really like the Glock 43x, but after much reading it seems that the Glock 48 will be a better choice. But, after much more reading, the Glock 19 Gen 5 might be the one to go for.

I'll be licensing this FA under S13 and it'll be my CCW (I've learnt some of the abbreviations ) every day during the week and only when I leave the house on weekends. Since concealment is going to be important at work, I'm thinking the G48 might be better since its narrower, but I'm not sure if the 6mm narrower grip is worth the reduced carrying capacity compared to the G19.

I am planning on doing some casual shooting at the range and would like to do some more tactical activities there, but private defence is still the main focus here.
    REmember there are other aspects besides the width of the gun. You will find far more accessories for the (double stack) G19 - esp holsters, spare mags. Larger mags from the G17, 30 round happy sticks & even drum magazines with 50 (100?) are available if your fancy stretches that far. Not so much with the single stack Glocks.

User

Thanks!

Awesome Stuff, I would also suggest to go and shoot all the models you’ve mentioned, to get a feel for it when it’s fired and handling it. You have a lot of time now, even try out other manufactures if you can. Unfortunately as you know if you’re not happy with your purchase you can’t just go and exchange it. Anyways, hope all goes well and you’ll soon be able to take your FA home.

REmember there are other aspects besides the width of the gun. You will find far more accessories for the (double stack) G19 - esp holsters, spare mags. Larger mags from the G17, 30 round happy sticks & even drum magazines with 50 (100?) are available if your fancy stretches that far. Not so much with the single stack Glocks.
    This is the biggest reason why I'm hesitant to go for the G48. The G19 has been around for much longer and the spares and accessories lists are just awesome. The width of the FA I should be able to deal with in terms of concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    Awesome Stuff, I would also suggest to go and shoot all the models you’ve mentioned, to get a feel for it when it’s fired and handling it. You have a lot of time now, even try out other manufactures if you can. Unfortunately as you know if you’re not happy with your purchase you can’t just go and exchange it. Anyways, hope all goes well and you’ll soon be able to take your FA home.
    I would love to go shoot all the one's I'm interested in. And if the LGS or range has others for me to try then I'd do that. As far as I know, City Guns is the only shop that has its own range and will let me try out different handguns for this?

User

This is the biggest reason why I'm hesitant to go for the G48. The G19 has been around for much longer and the spares and accessories lists are just awesome. The width of the FA I should be able to deal with in terms of concealment.

I would love to go shoot all the one's I'm interested in. And if the LGS or range has others for me to try then I'd do that. As far as I know, City Guns is the only shop that has its own range and will let me try out different handguns for this?
    Best is to call around and see which models are available to shoot, I'm in Johannesburg so don't know much about shops around there. Maybe there are some fellow forum members that can assist you in that regard as well. Luckily enough when I did my proficiency training the instructor was also a "gun nut" and we had a few things in common. He offered to let me shoot his CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow after I did my assessment and after that I did further researched and now own a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast