Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post
    I'm from KZN .

Well the deal for the .223 rifle has fallen through so guess I'm back to deciding really.

I'm not really keen on a 9mm option as I think you are limited when it comes to distance.

I'm still in my proficiency process so still a long way to go before I decide. The rifle was a good deal which is why I wanted to jump on it.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    Not all the AR’s out there would make good match guns. Ideally you should look at a rifle with a rifle length gas system. The rest you can change afterwards. For the shortest route to IPSC rifle happiness, spend some time chatting to Gerrit-Jan at Hailstorm.

Pity you live down in KZN… If you were nearer I could invite you to come and see what a match is about. From your province, I see the guys from Richards Bay Sport Shooting Club at matches most often.

Default Re: Price Difference .22 and .223 ammo

Not one you mentioned. But the one in between of this will be a 9mm PCC.

I wen the Ruger PC9 route. But you can go the PCC route that is more styled towards AR shape as well.

Although Ruger is bringing one closer to that out around the PC9.

I cast and powder coat my own 9mmP. So the cost of shooting is merely powder and primers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post
    I purchased a Lee pro 1000 for 9mm couple years ago from someone on here I was overseas at the time. Literally put it in storage and havent gotten to it since.

Looks like I'll need to pull it out and start searching for .223 dies and such.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    Howzit Ocali,

Where are you now with your apps? You still got the Lee Pro? I purchased a AR15 so ideally want to reload.

Also based in KZN

User

Quote Originally Posted by GunOrNot View Post
    Howzit Ocali,

Where are you now with your apps? You still got the Lee Pro? I purchased a AR15 so ideally want to reload.

Also based in KZN
    Howzit bud,

Well things have been. Moving very slow.
    At the time of posting this I didn't have my competency yet. That has since been approved. Purchased both an Ar15 in. 223 as well as a M&P15-22 both apps haven't been lodged yet, they ready to go however I cant get an appointment with my DFO to submit.. *sigh... I live in Phoenix... That should speak volumes about the DFO and access to them and their willingness to assist.. Anyway I digress....

As for the Lee pro, still have it, over the past few month been acquiring odds and ends so the setup would work for both calibers.. However from what I have read it's better to Start with a single stage press for. 223 so might still go this route. Few odds and ends to still get, like a scale, and couple other things I didn't knowI needed and will be good to go.

Like I said progress has been super slow so, taking it in my stride for now. As it comes by, 2nd hand goods are most feasible...

Congrats on the AR, how far along are you?

Sent from my PPA-LX2 using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

"Start with a single stage press."

Wise words. Don't sell it. Use it to get into the workings of reloading. Even when you have the best and most expensive reloading setup eventually, you will always need a simple single stage press on you reloading bench.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    "Start with a single stage press."

Wise words. Don't sell it. Use it to get into the workings of reloading. Even when you have the best and most expensive reloading setup eventually, you will always need a simple single stage press on you reloading bench.
    What I have learned soon in my reloading education is that single stage and semi auto does not gel well enough.

Banned

Take that press and box it nicely. Send it to Duanne and tell him what you want to use it for, then tell him you want it to operate flawlessly and smoothly. Then wait till it comes back as a perfect tool with correct plATES CARRIERS ETC. He will chat to you and ask you along way and you can start out with a tool that works perfectly - Le is known to need a education and some discipline before they become exemplary citizen's. Just get it done and pay for it and then learn it as it needs a adjustment etc.

I only say this because you bought it second hand and its stood long. He will find new and second hand as needed,

My keyboard is packing up again.

User

With the price and component availability of ammo currently I still keep to my idea that a pcc is the best way to go. If you see how fast the pcc division grows I can understand why less guys shoot rifle div. With pcc you can shoot every hg match. Take this from someone who has a rifle in nearly every Ipsc division. What gets me is the time and effort to load 223 vs 9mmP

User

PCC gets my vote too. 9mm reloading cost not far off from .22LR
    - I have no personal experience with .22 semi auto's but I read way too many posts and stories on poeple battling with ammo running reliably on this platform.
    But you need both PCC &.223

User

At my current cost of reloading 9mmP which is based on previously hoarded primers and propellant and bullets cast from range scrap almost all .22 ammo costs more per round now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast