Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Handgun Safety and Accidental Discharge.

I do not carry with a cocked hammer on pistols that have them. The safety is always engaged while holstered. I practice my drawing technique—draw, safety off, cock hammer, front sight, front sight, front sight on threat, both eyes open. One two three four. The dangerous variable for me is clearing my shirt, as I wear different styles. Button-up shirts are the biggest challenge as they are longer.
    There should be no reason to not look when holstering your sidearm. I use a Remora with no belt clip, it requires attention when re-holstering as it isn’t designed to stay open after drawing.
    R/Griff

After going through the video frame by frame, it looks like Barend holstered the firearm with his finger still in the trigger guard.

And then shot himself straight through the calf muscle. Going to hurt, but should heal. He's lucky it wasn't the ankle or foot, that will never be the same again.
    barend2.jpg

User
    In the middle of two mountains, between two oceans.

For me the undisputable answer to this riddle of "barend" almost liberating himself of a limb, lies in the actions of his companion, and the way the camera lady also comments, as if to say "WTF have you done now again".

The way she shy's away from him at the last moment before SHTF, reveals all about his firearm etiquette. Like he's known for doing Darwin type stuff with guns.

I think most of the firearm community has had an AD at some point while owning a firearm, coz we like to play with our toys, until the phenomenon about the motorbike and your first fall, or man and machinery or such gives us a sobering wakeup call. It serves as a reminder as to the level of respect these inanimate objects demand.

KNOW your tools and its capabilities, respect it and it will serve you well, F&%ck around and expect to be rewarded with some form of unpleasantness.

Quote Originally Posted by SamL View Post
    For me the undisputable answer to this riddle of "barend" almost liberating himself of a limb, lies in the actions of his companion, and the way the camera lady also comments, as if to say "WTF have you done now again".

The way she shy's away from him at the last moment before SHTF, reveals all about his firearm etiquette. Like he's known for doing Darwin type stuff with guns.

I think most of the firearm community has had an AD at some point while owning a firearm, coz we like to play with our toys, until the phenomenon about the motorbike and your first fall, or man and machinery or such gives us a sobering wakeup call. It serves as a reminder as to the level of respect these inanimate objects demand.

KNOW your tools and its capabilities, respect it and it will serve you well, F&%ck around and expect to be rewarded with some form of unpleasantness.
    I tend to agree with you. His body language, the flip flops, the nervous student and his generally oafish movements all combine to form a negative impression.

Anyway, we're all human. I would imagine Barend learnt his lesson. And also accidently taught the students some solid lessons.

I believe his brain was overwhelmed by his Hormones at this point and not thinking clearly to be honest.

User

Is it a striker fired pistol? I always reholster with thumb on the hammer so I can feel what the f/a is doing. My carry gun will always have a hammer for this reason. I believe it is safer than a striker fired pistol when it comes to reholstering.

Yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah Ok boomer the seventies called and asked for their fire control system back... but imho it is better than asking for your calf muscle back.

And no I dont get as many chicks as Barend... anyway who is she... Marelize is that you?

User

When I heard the lady in the background and I just knew that Marelize had a brother.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jager View Post
    the flip flops, the nervous student and his generally oafish movements all combine to form a negative impression.
    Easy tiger, flip flops and oafish movements are pretty much all that distinguishes me from the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Easy tiger, flip flops and oafish movements are pretty much all that distinguishes me from the masses.
    But can you do the 'balance halfway on one leg like a tactical ballet fairy and shoot one handed' stance, just before shooting yourself in the calf.

User

Scary to think that Barend has DSS status.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast