Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rimfires.

User

Default Re: Rimfires.

not subsonics, but I have shot ground squirrel and guinea fowl with HP HV out to 70m, with good effect. shot placement of course needs to be right but you won't have a problem with that.

My rifle seems to like HVs more, and I do like the little bit of flatter trajectory. a zero of 70m gives a nice useable trajectory with plex reticles, putting the target on the start of the thick portion at 100m. these days I have a graduated scope on it so to get better usable distances with that scope I brought the zero down to 65m.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Have anyone here used hollow point subsonic ammo on small game/small problem animals (guinea fowl, hare, vervet monkeys) out to 50m?
    Mmmm, me thinks the seasoned poachers might not answer you…

User

Get as much of that Aguila bullets as you can. I have yet to shoot a .22 that does not shoot them well. And it is priced much better than the Eley

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post

I'm still debating whether to shorten the barrel and fit a supressor.

Have anyone here used hollow point subsonic ammo on small game/small problem animals (guinea fowl, hare, vervet monkeys) out to 50m?
    I had the barrel of my 22 shortened more than 30 years ago and had a Parker Hale (Maxim type) suppressor fitted. I used thousands of SP subsonic HP's on small game and vermin. For range use I had the SP subsonic solids. Way back then they cost R300 for a box of 5000.

I found the SP SS HP's to not expand too well, so I used the tip of a BIC pen to slightly open the cavities. This did the trick. I used them on vervets out to around 110m, but most shots were well within 50m.

The Eley SS HP's also grouped nicely and the bigger cavities expanded well. Even then they were expensive, so I did not use too many. Nowadays the rifle gets fed CCI or S&B SS HP's. Both shoot pretty well.

On guneas, shot placement is critical. They will often fly off after a solid hit in the body, only to die later where you can't find or recover them. I prefer to shoot them where the neck joins the body. Fairly small target, but quite effective. The SS HP's are significantly more effective than any non-expanding bullets. The HV and Hyper-velocity HP's may be more effective, but they are noisy, so no thanks from me.

The report from a suppressed 22 with SS ammo is usually so soft, that you can only hear the impact of the firing pin and then that of the bullet. I like that. With a barrel in the 15 - 17" range, most Standard Velocity loads are also subsonic, giving you more options for range and practice use.

Banned

I could not get DRT reliably with any subsonic ammunition unless CNS was destroyed. I recall shooting a Gypo once, in the chest and it flew away but not far. After creeping through bush and shooting it again it did same and again. I ended up running up to it kneeling and shooting it over and over.
    6/7/8 times till it died.

I have not used subsonic since, but I always take them and silencer with and have full intention of using them but end up not doing so.

I must really set the one .22 in for sub sonics and try them again.

User

Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice.

User

[/QUOTE] I'm still debating whether to shorten the barrel and fit a supressor.Have anyone here used hollow point subsonic ammo on small game/small problem animals (guinea fowl, hare, vervet monkeys) out to 50m?[/QUOTE]I only use subsonic ammo for vervets and a few baboon at the lodge. Definitely a difference between HV and subsonic ammon a heart shot. Need to get a brain shot in and then there is no difference. I've actually got baboons causing a ruckus at the moment ( yellow wood trees bearing fruit) so they in and about the lodge so this morning is not going to be a good day for them. My rifle is shortened to 18 or 16 inches I think. Suppressed it is quieter but not by much.

User

To update I shot 3 baboons today 2 at around 40meters in the head and 1 at around 60meters in the lungs/heart. I only had 2 rooms in house and none were the wiser. As said you only hear the firing pin hit the primer, from the rear. From the front you definitely hear a rifle shot, the staff heard it today, albeit they knew what was happening. The baboon shot in the blad ran nearly 200m before he fell lopsided. I had to put the terrier on the trail to find him. That said the rifle did what it was supposed to do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    To update I shot 3 baboons today 2 at around 40meters in the head and 1 at around 60meters in the lungs/heart. I only had 2 rooms in house and none were the wiser. As said you only hear the firing pin hit the primer, from the rear. From the front you definitely hear a rifle shot, the staff heard it today, albeit they knew what was happening. The baboon shot in the blad ran nearly 200m before he fell lopsided. I had to put the terrier on the trail to find him. That said the rifle did what it was supposed to do.
    SBB, if you must use a .22 for boons, try the Hyper Velocities, they are just so much a whole different end result.
    If you come through PE again contact me and I will give you a handful of my precious Hypers to try before you buy a box, they really work on a different level in lungs.

I have tried contacting you in Pm, dunno if you not looking at messages or just dont like me much

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    SBB, if you must use a .22 for boons, try the Hyper Velocities, they are just so much a whole different end result.
    If you come through PE again contact me and I will give you a handful of my precious Hypers to try before you buy a box, they really work on a different level in lungs.

I have tried contacting you in Pm, dunno if you not looking at messages or just dont like me much
    Hi Dave.

Sorry I've been away. I use the Subsonics for noise reduction. Have a safe full of all sorts of .22 ammo but the goal is that the guests who are usually greenies hear nothing hence suppressed subsonics

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast