Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rimfires.

Default Rimfires.

After almost two decades without a rimfire firearm in my safe, and managing quite well without, I now have two. A Star mod. F pistol and a Remington 511 Scoremaster rifle.

The rifle I wanted to do some close range pest control, mostly for vervet monkeys and porcupines in areas where centerfire rifles are not desirable. The handgun was a gift and is pretty much a safe queen, it can not really do anything that one of my centerfire handguns can't do better.

Default Re: Rimfires.

I got the Remington very recently and have only fired 50 rounds through it. The trigger is crisp and the barrel appears to have been re-blued. Accuracy is so-so with the ammunition I have tested, Eley HVHP and S&B SV, both types print ±1.5" groups at 50 meters. Reliability seems to be ok, I had two misfires with the Eley ammunition and both rounds fired on the second attempt. I will be testing other brands of ammunition but accuracy with the Eley HVHP ammo is good enough for the rifle's intended purpose.

The Remington mod 511 rifles were manufactured from 1939-1963 so, even if it was made during the last year of manufacture, this rifle is older than I am. The rifle have a 25" barrel and is quiet compared to the centerfires I am used to. Even with high velocity ammo, impact on a gong is much louder than the report of the shot. Standard velocity ammo is so quiet that I do not think a suppressor, for which the barrel is threaded, will make much of a difference.

The scope rings which I got with the rifle is very high and I will be looking at replacing them with lower rings. The current scope is an old Leupold VX-III 3-9x40 which will serve for the intended purpose.

I'm waiting with bated breath for my license for a cz457. Want to do plenty target shooting without feeling pain in my wallet each time I pull the trigger.

I also have some vague aspirations of putting it in a chassis and using it for NRL22 matches.

Any idea how many rounds have been through your rifle? Amazing how long the barrels last.

Quote Originally Posted by jager View Post
    I'm waiting with bated breath for my license for a cz457. Want to do plenty target shooting without feeling pain in my wallet each time I pull the trigger.

I also have some vague aspirations of putting it in a chassis and using it for NRL22 matches.

Any idea how many rounds have been through your rifle? Amazing how long the barrels last.
    I have no idea about the number of rounds or the general history of the rifle.

Hi T. Congratulations on the new addition to the armoury.

If you can get Wichester Xperts in the 555 packs - buy as many as possible. Very good critir round, provides good accuracy and performs good.

Enjoy the plinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

your post comes at the right time , i own a .22 Anschutz , to be honest i dont use it that much although my kids have all grown up shooting thousands of rounds through it.

i have my eye on a .22 Hornet although i am struggling to justify the purchase .

anyone have any experience with a .22 Hornet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    i have my eye on a .22 Hornet although i am struggling to justify the purchase .

I have very little experience with the .22 Hornet, and will probably never own one, but I think it is the perfect choice for hunting the small antelope from steenbok, common duiker and smaller.

User

[QUOTE=Rigby;1435253

anyone have any experience with a .22 Hornet ?[/QUOTE]

Lekker calibre to plink with but limited hunting application. Having said that, don't underrate it. Ammo expensive to buy but very cheap to reload (800-ish rounds from a tin of S265). Haven't tried Lil Gun but that is apparently the best powder for it. Bullets are available, but you smetimes need to look for them. Make sure you use the proper stubby 22 Hornet bullets, not the longer, higher BC ones intended for 222 or 223. Sierra #1110 probably best bet these days but if you can lay your hands on some of the PMP 45 grainers (long out of production), they were even more accurate in both my rifles, a Savage & a Brno.

User

Rimfire rifles all have some very specific ammo preferences. It may be a good idea to test as many different types as you can through your rifle. Just shoot about 20 rounds of a specific type before recording the groups. They need to be "seasoned" to a specific type to produce the best results.

With the high mounts and a center-fire scope that is likely set to be paralax-free at 100yds, you should make sure your eye is centered in the ocular lens when shooting groups.

I have grown a strong liking in suppressed 22's. When using the correct sub sonic ammo, you only hear the firing pin impact and the bullet impact. This helps a lot when trying to control clever pests like maynahs and vervets. The survivors are not starteled by the shot, and if they can't see you, they soon expose themselves again, giving you more opportunities. Shorter barrels in the 15" - 18" region make the rifle with suppressor fitted more manageable and do not reduce the accuracy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    your post comes at the right time , i own a .22 Anschutz , to be honest i dont use it that much although my kids have all grown up shooting thousands of rounds through it.

Uncle has an old Brno handed down by his late FIL. I have used the little hornet extensively on porcupines and similar size criters. Effective range is sub 120m but quite effective. Fac ammo is expensive but reloading makes it manageble. Ditto on the round nose bullets when reloading.

Uncle gives it to younger children when they shoot their first buck on the farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast