Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Gym Swim Run - EDC

Hi folks I am looking for advice, suggestions and "how do you guys do it?"

Firstly background: I am an active sportsman, my wife and I belong to a marathon club, run, bike and swim. Although I try not drown more than swim - I suck at swimming. I have a half ironman on my bucket list for next year and Skyrun 100km trail run.

Bottom line, I spend a lot of time in gyms, on the road cycling and swimming in the gym's pool.

My problem: The swim and gym... The running and cycling I EDC - not a problem.

I am most vulnerable when coming home late around 8pm from the gym as I leave my EDC at home because I cannot take it into the gym, I do not have a car safe (are these that secure - please provide more detail on them if you can, where I can purchase etc.) They have broken into my car in broad daylight twice at the gym over the last couple of years and my wife's car once. Numerous other car break ins have been reported by club members. It goes quiet for a couple of months then it flares up again.

What are my options for at least getting my EDC to the gym? Only a car safe? Where can I purchase one? I cant stop training at the gym, I don't want to stop swimming, but need to get around this... Our gyms are so useless, they don't have firearms safes or lockup facilities and I wouldn't trust them to look after a bag of sand while I gym...

#HelpPlease

User

Default Re: Gym Swim Run - EDC

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4558 View Post

Firstly background: I am an active sportsman, my wife and I belong to a marathon club, run, bike and swim. Although I try not drown more than swim - I suck at swimming. I have a half ironman on my bucket list for next year and Skyrun 100km trail run.

Bottom line, I spend a lot of time in gyms, on the road cycling and swimming in the gym's pool.

I am most vulnerable when coming home late around 8pm from the gym as I leave my EDC at home because I cannot take it into the gym, I do not have a car safe (are these that secure - please provide more detail on them if you can, where I can purchase etc.) They have broken into my car in broad daylight twice at the gym over the last couple of years and my wife's car once. Numerous other car break ins have been reported by club members. It goes quiet for a couple of months then it flares up again.

What are my options for at least getting my EDC to the gym? Only a car safe? Where can I purchase one? I cant stop training at the gym, I don't want to stop swimming, but need to get around this... Our gyms are so useless, they don't have firearms safes or lockup facilities and I wouldn't trust them to look after a bag of sand while I gym...

#HelpPlease
    I think the 1st thing that comes to mind is the phlster enigma, if you are wearing loose fitting gym clothes.... that holster can work for almost anything, just depends on your type of workout, but you can look into it and consider it...

I am very interested in the phlster enigma, but at this point there is a backlog and overpriced issue, I will see what happens early next year and seriously contemplate on getting one.

There is a guy on this forum who has this holster and he loves it

User

I used to spend 6 days, 2 hours a day in the gym as well. I placed my EDC in a handgun pouch, zipped up, and into my gym bag. Gym bag stayed between my feet as I gym. If not possible, like swimming, I used to pick quiet times when I'm pretty much the only guy in the pool, with my bag placed in such a way that I can always view it from where I am in the water. I used to gym with 2 buddies and we all kept track of the other's stuff at all times as well.

Banned

Are there lockers at the gym? That was what we did.

Or take turns in the pool. One watches the bag while the other one swims.

Hi,
    For swimming, what about a ziplock bag and some duct tape ??

I have no suggestions w.r.t the swimming part, but for a normal gym session a small sports bag works for me while training as I keep my towel, water and music player in the bag....
    Maybe as a last resort, try to talk to the management and explain the situation, maybe even offer to purchase and install a pistol safe so that they have no expense, and they keep a member.

If the missus does not train with you at the same time, then maybe get her involved with the whole situation and let her be on standby when you get home, as your situation seems like a good reason to get her her own FA.
    As an extra benefit, doing FA training and competitions with the wifey is really fun if you have the extra time.

User

I'd go with a car safe. The Pangolin seems a good option. I used to do the 'watch my bag while I train' thing and got it wrong one day. The weights I needed to finish an exercise weren't in the rack so I changed sequence and went to the next machine directly from the rack. By the time I realised 15 minutes or more had elapsed. Thankfully it hadn't been swiped, probably because I was there during office ours and the gym was quiet. Given how many reports of thefts there had been at that gym I count myself very, very lucky.

As a completely left field idea, could you consider doing your swimming training in your own or a friend's pool on an elasticated tether? I used to do that and know a could of water polo guys who do the same.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm in or on the water at least 5 or 6 days a week.

Eventually bit the bullet and installed a car safe. I went with a pangolin one (they were on special at the natshoot shop), as I could get them to 'train' a local panel beater over the phone on the installation so that he could issue the installation certificate.

If you are in a major center you'll have more options (I'm far away from anything)

It's also very handy for things like camping and weekends away. Now you can actually go on the supertube with the kids instead of having to decide on either leaving your gun at home for the whole trip or missing out on the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4558 View Post

#HelpPlease
    Greetings, don’t want to hijack your post, but would you mind sharing your method of EDC while cycling and running?

User

@aimpoint no sweat man, we are here to learn and share from each other.

When Mountain Biking I have a Camelbak that I use or attach to First Ascent Mtn Bike paints AIWB or normal 3:30 o'clock position. Its comfortable enough.

When road biking I have an IWB Daniels holster that I wear at 5oclock with an Ulticlip.

Running is still a small problem especially on the longer 20 - 40km training runs. Often leave the Firearm at home but luckily we run in a group and have been lucky thus far not to have any incidence in the 6 odd years of running/training for Comrades. Shorter runs is a chest holster or if on the trail, in a Aonojie hydration vest. This is not ideal as you don't have quick access to your firearm.

The Rock & Surf fisherman use this holster: https://maverickoutdoor.co.za/collec.../chest-holster

Looking at that but want something that is more concealable and fits horizontally under the arm for cross draw?

User

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast