Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 9mm vs 10mm

Default Re: 9mm vs 10mm

Whilst the 40 is not the 10 it is instructive that just about every police and military has left the 45, 40, and in some instances the 10 and gone back to the 9mm. The 9mm of 20 years ago is not the 9mm of today. Defensive ammo at +p+ pressures is pushing in the region of 440 ft pounds of energy at the muzzle.

Banned

From wikipedia:
    9mm delivers roughly 500 - 700 Joules
    357Mag delivers roughly 600 - 800 Joules
    40S&W delivers roughly 700 - 800 Joules
    10mm delivers roughly 900 - 1300 Joules
    44Mag delivers roughly 1400 - 2000 Joules
    223 Rem delivers roughly 1300 - 1800 Joules

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Well look, it is quite simple. Let me try and explain.

3. We know, that one of the most important factors of successfully participating in a gun fight, is that if you have to shoot, you should make effective hits on target. I don’t think we would disagree that a 9mmP is easier to run than a 10mm… Unless of course if you believe that simply firing a warning shot, or even better, racking a shotgun is enough to make them run. (If you do find yourself in this exceptional group, I’ll concede and have no further desire to participate this discussion.)

4. I don’t know this, but I am quite certain, almost fully certain, that the US Military and US LEO’s and all other similar agencies around the world would make the correct choice about which caliber would be the better option when you have to defend against people with ill intent towards your people. So, really, we don’t have to think about this too much. We can just follow their example. Don’t you think? Or have they got it all wrong?

Regards,
    Wesley
    When shooting at a piece of cardboard; yes you are absolutely correct. One can be more effective / faster with a 9 than with a 10 when shooting at cardboard. (You mention "participating in a gunfight". How many did you participate in? Have you ever participated in a gunfight and / or how many people have you interviewed in your life who have participated?)

Various LEO agencies choose 9mm. Because the administarators make the choices based on cost and what the avarage (lowest common denominator) trainee can qualify with. And while you are holding up an organisation like the US Military as a group that sets the correct example why dont you start carrying FMJ and follow their example?

And just to put your mind at ease rest asured I don't propagate "racking a SG or firing warning shots...ever" My experience of these things is limmited to just plain shooting people untill they stopped shooting at me. There was never time for warning shots or other dumbfuckery, at least not for me. Other people's mileage may vary.

The US military now authorizes hollow points. Special forces had access to whatever they wanted yet they ditched +p+ 45 acp and went to the 9mm. The FBI ditched the 40 based on freely available data that shows minimal difference between the 40 and 9mm using new generation ammunition.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    When shooting at a piece of cardboard; yes you are absolutely correct. One can be more effective / faster with a 9 than with a 10 when shooting at cardboard. (You mention "participating in a gunfight". How many did you participate in? Have you ever participated in a gunfight and / or how many people have you interviewed in your life who have participated?)

Various LEO agencies choose 9mm. Because the administarators make the choices based on cost and what the avarage (lowest common denominator) trainee can qualify with. And while you are holding up an organisation like the US Military as a group that sets the correct example why dont you start carrying FMJ and follow their example?

And just to put your mind at ease rest asured I don't propagate "racking a SG or firing warning shots...ever" My experience of these things is limmited to just plain shooting people untill they stopped shooting at me. There was never time for warning shots or other dumbfuckery, at least not for me. Other people's mileage may vary.
    Fortunately, none so far. I’ll accept the DQ though. We are going in circles and I think you are wrong.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4